ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: remote height-adjustable podium mic?  (Read 9061 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
remote height-adjustable podium mic?
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

Is there such a creature on the market? I need a thin (countryman style) podium mic which ideally would be remote height adjustable. I'm dealing with a University President who is about 5'0" and the Provost who is like 6'5". The President refuses to use a step behind the podium, and they want to use the same podium. It's pretty rediculous.

I've seen and used mic stands that rise out of the floor. I'm hoping someone has a product that mounts in a podium.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Taylor Hall

Re: remote height-adjustable podium mic?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »

I know they exist in regular floor mic stands, perhaps you could reverse-engineer a solution using bits from that and install in the podium? Only caveat is I think the adjustment range was only 3-4"...

Maybe you'd be better off using a hanging condenser mic on one those those height-adjustable reels, those can gobble up something like 50ft of cable! XD
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

I've seen and used mic stands that rise out of the floor. I'm hoping someone has a product that mounts in a podium.
Hey Tim,
Didn't we use a stand alone mic stand that had a motor inside in San Marcos?  Did you ever use that? If so, how did it work?

Would a podium itself that had a motor inside work?   I have used those before with minimal success, because the control was on the podium, not remote controllable.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »

Hey Tim,
Didn't we use a stand alone mic stand that had a motor inside in San Marcos?  Did you ever use that? If so, how did it work?

Would a podium itself that had a motor inside work?   I have used those before with minimal success, because the control was on the podium, not remote controllable.

I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've not used it here.

I thought about a motorised podium too and I may suggest that. At A&M we modified one of those with a remote mount switch on an xlr. You could put the up/down switch offstage.

I also may suggest 2 thin mics, one high and one low, but that doesn't fix the visual problem of her having a mic pointed at her forehead.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »

I also may suggest 2 thin mics, one high and one low, but that doesn't fix the visual problem of her having a mic pointed at her forehead.

Not sure what your GBF situation is like, but if you have some room you could mount a discreete omni lav to the top of the gooseneck mic, which will do a much better job picking up the taller person if the mic is pointed at their navel. Depending on the lectern you could also try using a PCC-160 to pickup whatever the gooseneck isn't (or even as an alternative to the gooseneck entirely).

-Russ

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »

Have a similar situation like that here sometimes. 

We just put a lav on the tall guy.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »

Have a similar situation like that here sometimes. 

We just put a lav on the tall guy.

Yeah that would be cool, but he won't wear one.

It's like they are making it as hard as possible for us to do a decent job......

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »

Is there such a creature on the market? I need a thin (countryman style) podium mic which ideally would be remote height adjustable. I'm dealing with a University President who is about 5'0" and the Provost who is like 6'5". The President refuses to use a step behind the podium, and they want to use the same podium. It's pretty rediculous.

Yup.  Well... maybe not a Countryman-style, but a R/C mic stand.
https://www.remote-mast.com

I've also seen motorized height-adjustable podiums.

The first R/C mic stand I saw was on "Caught in Providence" TV show.  Not cheap@$700+ each.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:31:03 AM »

Yeah that would be cool, but he won't wear one.

It's like they are making it as hard as possible for us to do a decent job......
I've never understood why people hate lavs so much, especially when they're not wearing a dress or other outfit that makes running the cable or hiding the beltpack difficult...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »

Get a lectern large enough to hide a stagehand inside.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.