ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noah & The Jazz Band...  (Read 1683 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Noah & The Jazz Band...
« on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

"Noah, awaken and heed my words!"

And Noah didst tremble, saying, "Lord, why hath thou wakened me?"

And the Lord did say, "Noah, build me a jazz band. For the earth will be visited by a plague of Brides, followed by forty  days of Trade Shows and forty nights of Awards Banquets followed by Rock & Roll and Country/Western
Music. They will all be jazz oblivious. This  pleaseth me not and so we must invent jazz."

And Noah didst say, "Command me Lord."

And the Lord didst say, "First, thou must find me a leader."

And Noah replied, "But Lord, will I not be thy leader?"

And the Lord sayeth; "Fool, thou will be my  contractor. Ask not why!"

And Noah didst bow his head, saying, "Yes my Lord. And what instrument will the leader play?"

And the lord said, "It matters little whether he play or not, or whether he be proficient or not. For his job shall primarily be to schmooze, and to deal with clients, and to count the tempos wrong, and to inquire as to whether overtime will happen, and to try to segue  tunes that should not be segued. If he playeth any instrument, thou must always have another player of that instrument in the band just to be safe."

And Noah didst say, "And what else shall this leader  do?"

And the Lord replied, "It shall be his job to spread bad information and confusion amongst the sidemen and to pit them one  against the other, and to delay all payments "Further shall it be his job, until we can afford a soundman, to create feedback, and to invent new  equalization."

And Noah didst shake his head in wonder, saying, "Lord, thy ways are strange and mysterious. What more shall I do?"

And the Lord said, "Next, find me a Rhythm Section. First, find me a drummer. And three things above all must this  drummer possess:"
"First, this drummer must have slightly imperfect time, so that whenever he playeth a fill (and he shall play many), he always  emergeth at a different place, but thou may not guess which, nor where 'one' now is."
"And second, he must be supremely discontent, always  hoping for the  Big Break which will lead him to playing with Wedding  Bands or for other high paying gigs, so that he secretly despiseth jazz."
"And third, he must always be convinced of his righteousness, in all things, including time, volume, tempo and feel, so that he  argueth always with the leader and the bass player."

And Noah didst say, "Bass player?"

And the Lord didst say, "Yes, Bass player. He shall  be bored. That is All."

And Noah didst say, "Of course. And next, my Lord?"

And the Lord did say, "Next shall be the Keyboard   Player. And he  shall play as if he has twenty fingers, and he shall play   substitute upon substitute, until no man may name the chord, and he will not be  helpful. Furthermore, he shall always be late. And he shall  always be trying out new gear of which he has no knowledge."

And Noah didst wonder aloud, "Lord, Great is thy wisdom!"

And the Lord didst wisely continue, "Next shall be  the Guitar Player and he shall be loud, and he shall sing off key. Also shall he know not The Page, and so shall rely upon his ears, which have been damaged by exposure to high sound pressure levels. For guitar players who read shall already being playing shows, and will be making the big shekels. And his uniform shall be the rattiest."

And the Lord didst say, "Next thou shall need  Horns."

"First shall be Saxophones and Clarinets. And they shall either be Beboppers who play Bird quotes in every song, yea, even the  ballad medley, or copiers of Johnny Dodds and Sidney Bechet. They shall get drunk and high on every break, chase but never catch women, and make long faces all night long, but especially when "Bill Bailey" is called."

"Next, shall be the Trumpeters. And they shall every  one attempt to take everything up an octave, and fail frequently. And of changes they shall know nothing."

"And finally shall be the Trombone Player. And many jokes will be  made about him, for he will have a beeper that never beeps, as  well as a day job, and he will be the first to be cut from the band."

And Noah, taking many notes, didst say, "Mighty is the Lord!"

"Next, shall be the String Player. He will attach pickups to his violin that is more ancient even than myself, so that the instrument screecheth  and causeth great pain. His job shall be to dress in foppish clothing with hair in a pony tail, to fake parts, and to complain about  the volume and the intonation, and to impede the swing."

And Noah didst say, "What can be left, Lord?"

And the Lord didst say, Finally, find me the  singers."
"And they shall be two, one male and one female." "And the male shall be a strutting peacock, with girlie man hair, and he shall never have to wear the tuxedo, and also shall   play the harmonica."

"The female shall ALWAYS sing the power ballads, and   the novelty songs. She shall sing backup for the male, and forget the  words, and be late, and know nothing of keys or form."

And together, they shall leave every gig immediately, having never touched a piece of equipment."
"And they shall be paid more shekels than the  sidemen. Ask not why."

And the Lord continued: "Together they shall be melded into a dissonant band that plays mysterious polyrhythmic music called Jazz. It shall grow  to immense proportions in New Orleans amongst sinners, whorehouses and honky
tonks several millennia from now. But fear not  within a 100 years from birth, it shall be played in Churches and other  places of high learning. And it shall be called art. Go figureth."

And the lord didst command him, "Search high and low for these, as  not every musician can fulfill these requirements. And though we have no work yet, a commitment must be secured from all.
And while you're at it, start looking for subs."

And Noah didst say, "Lord, thy will be done."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Noah & The Jazz Band...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

Funny, I was expecting a cruise ship band.  :o

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »

:-)

I was going through old documents in the band folders and found this - hit my funny bone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:49 PM »

Ya, whatever.
I think I had them last month...... 8)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

scottstephens

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:41:24 AM »

Bob,

Congrats. You are now an official, old, jaded, sound guy! I Applaud your accomplishment! Welcome to the club;  go forth and spread thy wisdom.
Scott

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 01:27:26 AM »

;D
"Noah, awaken and heed my words!"

And Noah didst tremble, saying, "Lord, why hath thou wakened me?"

And the Lord did say, "Noah, build me a jazz band. For the earth will be visited by a plague of Brides, followed by forty  days of Trade Shows and forty nights of Awards Banquets followed by Rock & Roll and Country/Western
Music. They will all be jazz oblivious. This  pleaseth me not and so we must invent jazz."

And Noah didst say, "Command me Lord."

And the Lord didst say, "First, thou must find me a leader."

And Noah replied, "But Lord, will I not be thy leader?"

And the Lord sayeth; "Fool, thou will be my  contractor. Ask not why!"

And Noah didst bow his head, saying, "Yes my Lord. And what instrument will the leader play?"

And the lord said, "It matters little whether he play or not, or whether he be proficient or not. For his job shall primarily be to schmooze, and to deal with clients, and to count the tempos wrong, and to inquire as to whether overtime will happen, and to try to segue  tunes that should not be segued. If he playeth any instrument, thou must always have another player of that instrument in the band just to be safe."

And Noah didst say, "And what else shall this leader  do?"

And the Lord replied, "It shall be his job to spread bad information and confusion amongst the sidemen and to pit them one  against the other, and to delay all payments "Further shall it be his job, until we can afford a soundman, to create feedback, and to invent new  equalization."

And Noah didst shake his head in wonder, saying, "Lord, thy ways are strange and mysterious. What more shall I do?"

And the Lord said, "Next, find me a Rhythm Section. First, find me a drummer. And three things above all must this  drummer possess:"
"First, this drummer must have slightly imperfect time, so that whenever he playeth a fill (and he shall play many), he always  emergeth at a different place, but thou may not guess which, nor where 'one' now is."
"And second, he must be supremely discontent, always  hoping for the  Big Break which will lead him to playing with Wedding  Bands or for other high paying gigs, so that he secretly despiseth jazz."
"And third, he must always be convinced of his righteousness, in all things, including time, volume, tempo and feel, so that he  argueth always with the leader and the bass player."

And Noah didst say, "Bass player?"

And the Lord didst say, "Yes, Bass player. He shall  be bored. That is All."

And Noah didst say, "Of course. And next, my Lord?"

And the Lord did say, "Next shall be the Keyboard   Player. And he  shall play as if he has twenty fingers, and he shall play   substitute upon substitute, until no man may name the chord, and he will not be  helpful. Furthermore, he shall always be late. And he shall  always be trying out new gear of which he has no knowledge."

And Noah didst wonder aloud, "Lord, Great is thy wisdom!"

And the Lord didst wisely continue, "Next shall be  the Guitar Player and he shall be loud, and he shall sing off key. Also shall he know not The Page, and so shall rely upon his ears, which have been damaged by exposure to high sound pressure levels. For guitar players who read shall already being playing shows, and will be making the big shekels. And his uniform shall be the rattiest."

And the Lord didst say, "Next thou shall need  Horns."

"First shall be Saxophones and Clarinets. And they shall either be Beboppers who play Bird quotes in every song, yea, even the  ballad medley, or copiers of Johnny Dodds and Sidney Bechet. They shall get drunk and high on every break, chase but never catch women, and make long faces all night long, but especially when "Bill Bailey" is called."

"Next, shall be the Trumpeters. And they shall every  one attempt to take everything up an octave, and fail frequently. And of changes they shall know nothing."

"And finally shall be the Trombone Player. And many jokes will be  made about him, for he will have a beeper that never beeps, as  well as a day job, and he will be the first to be cut from the band."

And Noah, taking many notes, didst say, "Mighty is the Lord!"

"Next, shall be the String Player. He will attach pickups to his violin that is more ancient even than myself, so that the instrument screecheth  and causeth great pain. His job shall be to dress in foppish clothing with hair in a pony tail, to fake parts, and to complain about  the volume and the intonation, and to impede the swing."

And Noah didst say, "What can be left, Lord?"

And the Lord didst say, Finally, find me the  singers."
"And they shall be two, one male and one female." "And the male shall be a strutting peacock, with girlie man hair, and he shall never have to wear the tuxedo, and also shall   play the harmonica."

"The female shall ALWAYS sing the power ballads, and   the novelty songs. She shall sing backup for the male, and forget the  words, and be late, and know nothing of keys or form."

And together, they shall leave every gig immediately, having never touched a piece of equipment."
"And they shall be paid more shekels than the  sidemen. Ask not why."

And the Lord continued: "Together they shall be melded into a dissonant band that plays mysterious polyrhythmic music called Jazz. It shall grow  to immense proportions in New Orleans amongst sinners, whorehouses and honky
tonks several millennia from now. But fear not  within a 100 years from birth, it shall be played in Churches and other  places of high learning. And it shall be called art. Go figureth."

And the lord didst command him, "Search high and low for these, as  not every musician can fulfill these requirements. And though we have no work yet, a commitment must be secured from all.
And while you're at it, start looking for subs."

And Noah didst say, "Lord, thy will be done."
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

Tell Noah RE: the bass player, I know a guy.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »

Very amusing😄
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 2.3 seconds with 22 queries.