ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 5-pin XLR output for guitar  (Read 3907 times)

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Re: 5-pin XLR output for guitar
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »

I am no wiring expert, but what about an Ethercon cable? It locks and if the unthinkable happened (the cable breaks with no spare) ethernet cables can be purchased most anywhere, and would work in a pinch (yes not durable but the gig could go on).
That's a nice idea too - I'd have to use one made with shielded/STP CAT5e, since we're talking about unbalanced connections. I don't see why it would function much differently than an instrument cables, aside from the wires being a little smaller. That also gives me 5 extra conductors (since I'd be starting out using 3 plus shield) for whatever future mad scientist projects I get into on this guitar.

I wouldn't be able to use the earlier idea of jumping the wires inside the cable shell with CAT5/ethercon though, so I'd have to either install an extra switch to disconnect the battery or use Scott's idea of feeding the piezo pickup some DC voltage from the rack.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

Ethercon to a guitar?
Wow. I don't think that would work for very long.
Don't get me wrong, it's an easy way to get 8 wires somewhere, but it was never meant for stuff dancing around a stage.
The XLR is a more secure and durable connector, no doubt about it.
Chris.

This is true it is not meant for dancing around the stage, however considering the outputs, I am envisioning more of Charlie Hunter style performance (not a heck of a lot of moving). I also think the durability, longevity, and the stiffness (or lack thereof) greatly depend on the manufacturer. Not all Ethercon cables are created equal, I have come across some phenomenal ones, and others which I would not trust for a gig.

Also pointedly I have seen more problems with 1/4 jacks failing on stage over the years, compared to ethercon, and yes on many stages I have more Ethercon in the game than there are 1/4 jacks! I have only ever had 2 Ethercons go out on me, one on an old well used cable which I should have retired, which terminated in an RJ45 (no Ethercon) to which I believe was a possible problem, although it tested fine back at the shop, and another when I was looking for a spare IEM loom at a church I work at. Granted most of this could be that musicians tend to buy VERY cheap cables  :o ;D ;D

If memory serves line6 did it with their modeling guitar over a decade ago. 

This is correct, for the Variax line, released in 2010.

use Scott's idea of feeding the piezo pickup some DC voltage from the rack.

The guitar could be advertized as POE hahaha  ;D

EDIT: Also check out the K&K pure mini pickup, it requires no batteries (or power) and uses an external preamp.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:55:19 AM by Matthias McCready »
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:51 PM »

Ethercon is good enough for catcore boxes!

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »

The guitar could be advertized as POE hahaha  ;D
Ha!! I laughed out loud.

EDIT: Also check out the K&K pure mini pickup, it requires no batteries (or power) and uses an external preamp.
Good idea, but this is an electric guitar (Telecaster style body). Those are very nice for acoustics though.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:10:44 PM »

If memory serves line6 did it with their modeling guitar over a decade ago.

Yes, the Variax uses an Ethercon.  Line6 sells a really nice cable that is rugged and very flexible.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 12:13:13 AM »

That's a nice idea too - I'd have to use one made with shielded/STP CAT5e, since we're talking about unbalanced connections. I don't see why it would function much differently than an instrument cables, aside from the wires being a little smaller. That also gives me 5 extra conductors (since I'd be starting out using 3 plus shield) for whatever future mad scientist projects I get into on this guitar.

I wouldn't be able to use the earlier idea of jumping the wires inside the cable shell with CAT5/ethercon though, so I'd have to either install an extra switch to disconnect the battery or use Scott's idea of feeding the piezo pickup some DC voltage from the rack.

Use each pair for one signal.  It’ll get you a little more noise rejection.  If you make a custom cable there’s no reason you can’t jump one pair together for your switch circuit.  Even without a custom cable you can always jump that 4th pair together back in the rack.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »

Before wiring up the guitar, I suggest you take a piece of STP and solder on a couple of 1/4"TS connectors and see what it does to the sound of your magnetic pickups. I am betting that the result is less than stellar tone.

If you need something less obtrusive than a full size XLR5 jack, you could go to a TA5 mini-XLR connector. You can wire them up with star-quad mic cable and get all 5 pins working.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »

Once upon a time I made a guitar cable from a mic cable (soldering two signal wires together to tip, and shield to shield). It didn't work with his pickup, since the shield in the mic cable was not 100% and the cable picked up some interference from radio or something. I don't remember the pickup type, but learned that proper guitar cables have full shielding (conductive foil under braided/twisted shield). I am afraid you won't find multicore guitar cable, so make sure you won't be affected by this problem.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »

Remember that passive guitar pickups are high impedance and very affected by parasitics.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »

The one issue to watch out for using shielded ethernet cable is many only have a foil shield which might not hold up to the flexing when used as an instrument cable.  The easy way I  see to use the cable for power is to jump pins at the rack end using a punch down type jack.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.