ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminaire - can't do 2 universes?  (Read 6907 times)

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Re: Luminaire - can't do 2 universes?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »

So just as an update and FYI for all, I finally got this working:

2 ipads each running luminaire 3.
1 Airport Extreme @ 5ghz
2 edmxking ethernet-dmx nodes
donner wireless 2.4ghz dmz transmitters/receivers (transmitter from each node, set to different color/channel, coordinated with the lights' receivers)

I got this all set up and wired but could not make it work.  So I tried to simplify down to my existing (working) project with a wired dmx connection from node to lights.  Nada.

Called DmxKing and within 3 min was talking with a knowlegable, calm, organized tech.  He showed me how to make the nodes manually put out every dmx channel full on (you could edit any channel if desired but it's in hexadecimal).  That made the lights come on.  Then we worked backwards and he found that my ipad switched wifi nets so it wasn't controlling the node....... Grrrrr.   He also explained how to do the two-universe thing in luminaire 3 and coordinate it with the nodes.  It doesn't make a single instance of luminaire into a multi-universe controller but allows two instances of luminaire to work in parallel.

Kudos to dmxking support - very helpful when my head was overwhelmed with how to troubleshoot.

So the end setup is:  Both ipads/Luminair3 run sACN with Art-Net turned off.  On ipad #1 I set the existing projects (fill lights) to use universe 1 and the edmxking node  connected is set to DMX out and Universe 1.

On ipad #2 I want to control movers in more of a busking way.  So Luminaire 3 on that ipad is set to sACN with universe 2.  Same wifi network. That ipad looks to the second edmxking node which is set to dmx out and universe 2.

Seemed to work in my family room and I made the cats nuts with lights swinging and blinking, so much progress was made.  Now to figure out programming the (super-cheapo-chinese) movers to look like something.

--Kevin

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »

Glad to hear you got it working, even with a bit of fuss. Be sure to show us the finished product when you have your next gig!
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »

I sure wish Luminair would do some updates to the interface. Why are the cue buttons so big, and not resize-able? If the buttons could be smaller I could have my entire preset scene cues on one page. I hate scrolling around looking for a giant button.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »

So just as an update and FYI for all, I finally got this working:

2 ipads each running luminaire 3.
1 Airport Extreme @ 5ghz
2 edmxking ethernet-dmx nodes
donner wireless 2.4ghz dmz transmitters/receivers (transmitter from each node, set to different color/channel, coordinated with the lights' receivers)

I got this all set up and wired but could not make it work.  So I tried to simplify down to my existing (working) project with a wired dmx connection from node to lights.  Nada.

Called DmxKing and within 3 min was talking with a knowlegable, calm, organized tech.  He showed me how to make the nodes manually put out every dmx channel full on (you could edit any channel if desired but it's in hexadecimal).  That made the lights come on.  Then we worked backwards and he found that my ipad switched wifi nets so it wasn't controlling the node....... Grrrrr.   He also explained how to do the two-universe thing in luminaire 3 and coordinate it with the nodes.  It doesn't make a single instance of luminaire into a multi-universe controller but allows two instances of luminaire to work in parallel.

Kudos to dmxking support - very helpful when my head was overwhelmed with how to troubleshoot.

So the end setup is:  Both ipads/Luminair3 run sACN with Art-Net turned off.  On ipad #1 I set the existing projects (fill lights) to use universe 1 and the edmxking node  connected is set to DMX out and Universe 1.

On ipad #2 I want to control movers in more of a busking way.  So Luminaire 3 on that ipad is set to sACN with universe 2.  Same wifi network. That ipad looks to the second edmxking node which is set to dmx out and universe 2.

Seemed to work in my family room and I made the cats nuts with lights swinging and blinking, so much progress was made.  Now to figure out programming the (super-cheapo-chinese) movers to look like something.

--Kevin

Good job!... I am surprised you didn't get the sACN/art-net method working. I simply switched the protocols in the Luminair programs on my iPads - one in iPad 1 to art-net and the second in iPad 2 to sACN, and they have always worked ever since for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »

I just thought of something that might have affected your first experiment trying sACN on one iPad and art-net on the other.....
I have found that if I use say my iPhone to quickly check that Luminair is up and working but leave the control set to blackout, even if I close the program on my iPhone and then attempt to use my iPad that is dedicated to lights, that the iPad  doesn't  appear to work. It seems to save the blackout command from the first device whether I close the app on that device or not and no matter what I select on the second iPad.
So what I have to do is make sure if I want to switch devices during the same show, I must leave the first device control set to anything but blackout before closing the app. Then when I start using my other device, it works fine.
For clarification as to why I use a different device sometimes..... I'll quickly use my iPhone that I keep in my pocket to test the lights once set just to make sure everything is working... my lighting iPad get switched on closer to show time - no need before.

Maybe in your going back and forth between devices, you did something similar??

Moot point now you have it working but I thought worth a mention....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »

I sure wish Luminair would do some updates to the interface. Why are the cue buttons so big, and not resize-able? If the buttons could be smaller I could have my entire preset scene cues on one page. I hate scrolling around looking for a giant button.

At the bottom right of the cue button widow, there's a icon to make it full screen.
Lots more cue buttons!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Garris

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »

At the bottom right of the cue button widow, there's a icon to make it full screen.
Lots more cue buttons!

Yes, but on an iPad in horizontal mode it goes from 8 small buttons that are just right in size, to 9 large buttons that could be much smaller. You can only get 12 buttons in portrait mode.

If they would make a screen that allows just the smaller buttons, I could have 45 buttons on one page.

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »

I just thought of something that might have affected your first experiment trying sACN on one iPad and art-net on the other.....
I have found that if I use say my iPhone to quickly check that Luminair is up and working but leave the control set to blackout, even if I close the program on my iPhone and then attempt to use my iPad that is dedicated to lights, that the iPad  doesn't  appear to work. It seems to save the blackout command from the first device whether I close the app on that device or not and no matter what I select on the second iPad.
So what I have to do is make sure if I want to switch devices during the same show, I must leave the first device control set to anything but blackout before closing the app. Then when I start using my other device, it works fine.
For clarification as to why I use a different device sometimes..... I'll quickly use my iPhone that I keep in my pocket to test the lights once set just to make sure everything is working... my lighting iPad get switched on closer to show time - no need before.

Maybe in your going back and forth between devices, you did something similar??

Moot point now you have it working but I thought worth a mention....

Deb - there is a setting either on the nodes or Luminair (I'm not near them at the moment) that modifies that performance when using multiple devices.  I didn't understand what it was until you described it.   Sort of like accounting rules of FIFO or LIFO.....   Maybe fiddling with that will eliminate the need to be careful (or blow up the whole setup).   

--Kevin

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »

Steve - I agree  the user interface could be much more straightforward.  Took me forever to find those tiny minimize/maximize arrows.    Same for the fader page.  Programming is a bitch rolling left-right through the faders.   Gets confusing.

--Kevin

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:53:50 AM »

Deb - there is a setting either on the nodes or Luminair (I'm not near them at the moment) that modifies that performance when using multiple devices.  I didn't understand what it was until you described it.   Sort of like accounting rules of FIFO or LIFO.....   Maybe fiddling with that will eliminate the need to be careful (or blow up the whole setup).   

--Kevin

Thanks Kevin ...yes - there are quite a few settings available on the Luminair app but to be honest, but I am a little unsure of what some actually do.  I have experimented with them in the past and once I got to where I need to be, I left well alone but  I'll experiment a bit more and see if I can prevent this from occurring.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:53:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.