ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminaire - can't do 2 universes?  (Read 6909 times)

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Luminaire - can't do 2 universes?
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »

I was hoping Luminaire (which I have) could do two universes.  From what I read it can not.

I have a fill lighting setup and recently got some cheapo movers to play with.  I wanted to use those in a second universe.  I have all the hardware to do that but now need to start programming.  Am I out of luck?  Could I run a second ipad with Luminaire pointed at the second dmxking converter that the movers live on?  Is there another better app to do two universes on that won't cost an arm leg and part of torso?

--Kevin

Taylor Hall

Re: Luminaire - can't do 2 universes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 01:24:47 PM »

Correct, luminair only supports a single universe.

You could run two instances of the app, just be mindful of the wired/wireless networks being used and keep the two ipads segmented on a different network (and its corresponding universe). So network A can only access fixtures for universe A and so on.

QLC+ is another (free) option that supports any number of universes, you would just need the requisite amount of USB>DMX interfaces. It is not app-driven, though, and must be run on a computer. It does run on Windows, Mac or Linux, and is fairly lightweight so you don't need a beast of a machine to run it even with dozens of fixtures. It also has a remote network utility built in, so you could still access that via wifi on your ipad through a regular browser and tweak things from there.

The only downside here is that you'll have to reprogram everything from scratch, but QLC has a vast fixture definition library and is pretty intuitive after playing with it for a little while. We currently use it across three universes, but will be moving over to ArtNET very soon
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »

Correct, luminair only supports a single universe.

You could run two instances of the app, just be mindful of the wired/wireless networks being used and keep the two ipads segmented on a different network (and its corresponding universe). So network A can only access fixtures for universe A and so on.

QLC+ is another (free) option that supports any number of universes, you would just need the requisite amount of USB>DMX interfaces. It is not app-driven, though, and must be run on a computer. It does run on Windows, Mac or Linux, and is fairly lightweight so you don't need a beast of a machine to run it even with dozens of fixtures. It also has a remote network utility built in, so you could still access that via wifi on your ipad through a regular browser and tweak things from there.

The only downside here is that you'll have to reprogram everything from scratch, but QLC has a vast fixture definition library and is pretty intuitive after playing with it for a little while. We currently use it across three universes, but will be moving over to ArtNET very soon

Thanks I don't really want to set up a PC for this.   Oddly, I can't seem to find ANY other dmx ios controllers in the apple app store.   Is Luminaire now the only game in town?

--Kevin

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »

I run 2 iPads and set one for sACN and the other for ART-NET. Works great.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

I run 2 iPads and set one for sACN and the other for ART-NET. Works great.

Somehow I knew you'd have a solution (not that a second ipad is cheap either...).

Can you give more detail on this setup?  Is running sACN just a setup selection in luminaire and the dmxking Ethernet/dmx converter?

Thanks in advance for any details.  No particular rush.

--Kevin

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »

Somehow I knew you'd have a solution (not that a second ipad is cheap either...).

Can you give more detail on this setup?  Is running sACN just a setup selection in luminaire and the dmxking Ethernet/dmx converter?

--Kevin
Correct, the various modes of operation (sACN, ArtNET and MIDI) are under the settings tab in the app. The only thing you'll need to configure in your DMX controller is the IP for the ArtNET "node". Just be sure to label your controllers as such so that you're not trying to push the wrong protocol to it and getting left in the dark. ;) 

Note that ArtNET is an IP-based method of transmitting the DMX protocol, so you'll need a basic understanding of networking principles to set it all up and a DMX interface that is able to utilize it. Since you mentioned DMXKing, all of their current eDMX products support it, but I don't know about their legacy products (LeDMX, etc). Enttec has a few models that support ArtNET as well.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »

Correct, the various modes of operation (sACN, ArtNET and MIDI) are under the settings tab in the app. The only thing you'll need to configure in your DMX controller is the IP for the ArtNET "node". Just be sure to label your controllers as such so that you're not trying to push the wrong protocol to it and getting left in the dark. ;) 

Note that ArtNET is an IP-based method of transmitting the DMX protocol, so you'll need a basic understanding of networking principles to set it all up and a DMX interface that is able to utilize it. Since you mentioned DMXKing, all of their current eDMX products support it, but I don't know about their legacy products (LeDMX, etc). Enttec has a few models that support ArtNET as well.

Thanks I'm a network admin so IP is no problem.  I have two of the the edmx units.

--Kevin

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »

--Kevin

Yes that is right. To get both systems working at the same time you need not only 2 iPads but 2 nodes also ( getting expensive isn't it? - sorry).
I had an extra one anyway because I take spares to shows for almost everything and as the DMX node is such an important part of my kit, I always carried 2. I have an Enttec and a DMX king. Enttec is set to art-net and the DMX King set to sACN.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

Yes that is right. To get both systems working at the same time you need not only 2 iPads but 2 nodes also ( getting expensive isn't it? - sorry).
I had an extra one anyway because I take spares to shows for almost everything and as the DMX node is such an important part of my kit, I always carried 2. I have an Enttec and a DMX king. Enttec is set to art-net and the DMX King set to sACN.

Thanks Deb.  I'll play with it and ask more questions if I have them.  Didn't know they were able to be split sACN / Art-Net so that info is very helpful. 

Can you run over the same wifi / ip range as long as the ipads, and nodes are addressed and 'pointed' at correctly?

Can all this be on the same 5ghz wifi my x32 is running and being controlled (by yet another ipad)?  Again, given all the ip addressing is sorted out?

--Kevin

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »

Thanks Deb.  I'll play with it and ask more questions if I have them.  Didn't know they were able to be split sACN / Art-Net so that info is very helpful. 

Can you run over the same wifi / ip range as long as the ipads, and nodes are addressed and 'pointed' at correctly?

Can all this be on the same 5ghz wifi my x32 is running and being controlled (by yet another ipad)?  Again, given all the ip addressing is sorted out?

--Kevin

I use the same router for sound and both nodes.
I found this all out one day when I was experimenting with everything looking for something else and I didn't even know what sACN was. I looked it up and played around with it and realized I could control 2 different universes if I used the 2 different protocols.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.