ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: antenna for SLX system  (Read 1802 times)

Dave Guilford

antenna for SLX system
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »

Hi.  i was gifted 4 SLX4 receivers and a UA844 antenna splitter all racked up.  No microphones or beltpacks, but it was all free and that's super.  I've bought 4 of the sm58 transmitters so it's a finished system now, but i'm looking into making better use of the antenna splitter.

any reason i shouldn't get a PA805?  do i need 2?  i'm small time here; but i want reliability.  i dont need much distance.  any other antenna to consider?  i def want directional.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: antenna for SLX system
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

Hi.  i was gifted 4 SLX4 receivers and a UA844 antenna splitter all racked up.  No microphones or beltpacks, but it was all free and that's super.  I've bought 4 of the sm58 transmitters so it's a finished system now, but i'm looking into making better use of the antenna splitter.

any reason i shouldn't get a PA805?  do i need 2?  i'm small time here; but i want reliability.  i dont need much distance.  any other antenna to consider?  i def want directional.

Yes, you need two antennas.  The systems are designed to function that way and they're required for proper operation.  Here's more detailed info about why that is so. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity

Audio-Technica ATW-A49 antennas have identical characteristics as PA805 at a much lower price.  https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATW-A49-ATWA49/dp/B00076N69O

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Dave Guilford

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »

Yes, you need two antennas.  The systems are designed to function that way and they're required for proper operation.  Here's more detailed info about why that is so. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity

Audio-Technica ATW-A49 antennas have identical characteristics as PA805 at a much lower price.  https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATW-A49-ATWA49/dp/B00076N69O

Thank you.  Any reason I can’t put a strip of gaff over the Audio technica name?

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »

Thank you.  Any reason I can’t put a strip of gaff over the Audio technica name?
It'll detune the antenna a TINY bit, and likely reduce its gain by a small amount.  Should be fine, but *I* wouldn't.

The OCD RF tech such as I would rather (and did ) give them a light spray of Ace Hardware spray lacquer flat black, after masking the connector, of course.

I like lacquers because they form a much thinner layer than enamel.  Less thickness means less dielectric material and less carbon black conductor in the equation. They dry ultra fast.  In contrast, all enamels require extended curing time for durability, long after being dry to the touch.  But they work fine.   See my previous reference to OCD.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:39:31 PM by Jason Glass »

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 02:46:47 PM »

The OCD RF tech such as I would rather (and did ) give them a light spray of Ace Hardware spray lacquer flat black, after masking the connector, of course.

I like lacquers because they form a much thinner layer than enamel.  Less thickness means less dielectric material and less carbon black conductor in the equation. They dry ultra fast.  In contrast, all enamels require extended curing time for durability, long after being dry to the touch.  But they work fine.   See my previous reference to OCD.
I’ve been researching Ubiquiti APs and wondered what affect spray painting them black would have on performance. Good tip on lacquer vs enamel. Makes sense. Thanks!
..db

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »

I’ve been researching Ubiquiti APs and wondered what affect spray painting them black would have on performance. Good tip on lacquer vs enamel. Makes sense. Thanks!

Black often implies carbon black which may or may not reduce performance.

No one really cares what color your network gear is. They are looking at the performance.

No one cares about the logos on gear. The pro concerts have paddles and helixes with the logos in big letters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Matt Greiner

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:26:15 AM »

You could always reach out to some of the PSW members who are dealers, they may be able to get you a really good price on some PA805's.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »

You could always reach out to some of the PSW members who are dealers, they may be able to get you a really good price on some PA805's.

Consider this a call out!  Anyone want to sell me a pair (any brand, directional, passive) of antennae??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.