ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leslie Speakers in Churches 2019  (Read 3543 times)

Barry Reynolds

Leslie Speakers in Churches 2019
« on: May 14, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »

I have a strange question for church sound guys: What model of Leslie speaker do you have/see in churches?

The reason I ask is that I’m selling a superb 142 that is focused on gigging and transport—-black Duratex, casters, side handles, no trim wood. 

But maybe the better market is for stationary vintage furniture quality cabinets??  I could essentially put my Leslie guts into a 122 cabinet.  It would cost as much as $1000 for a new empty cabinet, but maybe I should consider doing this?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Leslie Speakers in Churches 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

In modern worship I’d probably have the Leslie offstage in an iso somewhere so as long as the sound was right the appearance wouldn’t matter.  I think appearance thing will matter most to people who want it visible.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »

The last church I visited with a Hammond organ had the Leslie in isolated in a box backstage somewhere.  Plenty of churches that still have them up front, but I don't think it'd be worth putting what you have a prettier case to help sell it.   

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:53:40 PM »

Hipster churches that cut out pianos to stick Nords in would likely geek out on a nice wooden 122, but I think spending a bunch of time plus $1000 would be a risky gamble.

I gigged with a Motion Sound Pro 145 for a while, but eventually gave up the hassle in favor of just a modeling organ since everybody on stage uses IEMs and everybody in the audience listens through the PA, and the stage volume of an organ speakeris a detriment.  Last year I picked up a Hammond XK5.  It sounds pretty great from its line outs.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »

I have a strange question for church sound guys: What model of Leslie speaker do you have/see in churches?

The reason I ask is that I’m selling a superb 142 that is focused on gigging and transport—-black Duratex, casters, side handles, no trim wood. 

But maybe the better market is for stationary vintage furniture quality cabinets??  I could essentially put my Leslie guts into a 122 cabinet.  It would cost as much as $1000 for a new empty cabinet, but maybe I should consider doing this?

Most organist would typically opt for the Leslie on the stage next to them in all its glory. Most sound techs would opt for the ISO box someplace.

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »

Most organist would typically opt for the Leslie on the stage next to them in all its glory. Most sound techs would opt for the ISO box someplace.

Thanks for the replies.  Confirms my reluctance to take that risk.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »

Maybe a studio or a jazz club, but I wouldn't expect a church to buy one nowadays.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »

Hipster churches that cut out pianos to stick Nords in would likely geek out on a nice wooden 122, but I think spending a bunch of time plus $1000 would be a risky gamble.

We used the piano shell for the Nord this last weekend  :o ::)

That being said around here we would be more likely to use waves, sampled keys/Leslie, or if there really was a Leslie it would be in an ISO.

The only places I have seen Leslie's over the past few years was a large African American church, a church the played Americana music in Tennessee, and some jazz clubs. Most of those places would care more about sound than looks.

If someone really doesn't want to buy it because it doesn't have the look sell it cheaper, and let them worry about making it how they want it.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.