ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall  (Read 3514 times)

Greg Harwood

Re: Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »

I've been using DSR112 speakers for a few years now.  I don't gig a lot anymore, but these have been outstanding.  They sound very good for their price point, get loud, and do well at FOH and/or monitor duties.  As mentioned above they do have 120hz filter when using with sub or vocal monitor.
Greg H.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »

$500 a box seems about right to me used and in good shape. MAP is $900, which puts street at ~$700 new. 50 - 60% of MAP / 70% of street is about right for most current version used gear or even a previous version if it's something that changes a lot (Like RCF that seemingly puts out a slightly different version of the same box every 2 years).

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »

I will say the DSR's are no where near as rugged as the KW's.  They are made of a composite material that is finer than MDF but chips easy.  My apes have taken chunks out of them I have had to repair with Bondo.  Debbie has a knack for keeping her gear like new but if your stuff is out all the time and moved by crews these are the wrong boxes.  I am going to case them up.  Only way they will last long enough to lay for themselves.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

This is surprising to me. I have a set of these that I use for floor monitors, and mine are 6 and 7 years old and still look almost new. I don't use covers, but I am very careful with my gear, and when I hire a helper that person is trained as well. I also have JBL PRX & SRX boxes but I don't think the finish is as good as on my Yamaha's. I guess YMMV.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »

The DSR's work well with the kw181's and for the most part the KW's are all on monitor and fill duty now.  With the KW181 you have to use an external crossover.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I have DXRs and they select the frequencies they want so if you select to run with subs, they apply a high pass.

I also have KW181s and they have built in HP and LP filters so you can send a full range signal.

No crossover needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »

I have DXRs and they select the frequencies they want so if you select to run with subs, they apply a high pass.

I also have KW181s and they have built in HP and LP filters so you can send a full range signal.

No crossover needed.

Yes, no crossover is needed depending on the tops you use.  I think Scott's point is that since the pass-thru signal of the KW181 is full range (internal LP set at 100Hz) and with the DSR12's fixed HP set at 120Hz you might want to use an external crossover.  Some have reported here their KW181/DSR12 combo sounds good w/o an external crossover despite the gap between 100Hz and 120Hz.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »

I bought a pair of DZR's and I have been running them myself.  They are noticeably better than the DSR's and very easy to mix on.  I have no way to quantify it simply that I don't have to work hard to get then sounding good.  Little EQ and they too get silly loud.  They also look very high end with the grill foam. 

Good to read this feedback.  I almost bought the DSRs, but held out for the DZRs.  To me the DZRs sound much better than my HPRs.  Even so, I have remained curious as to how they compare to the DSRs.

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:49 PM »

A 100 to 120 gap would drive me nuts...  being a bass player, sound guy.. I try to get the low end as right as it can be and float everything else on top of that most nights.  Having some F# and G not there in my bass guitar would be problematic...

This hits songs written in eMin, G, D, C, A, B ... like every common guitar key...  as the sheep say. bAAAAd...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Rick Powell

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »

A 100 to 120 gap would drive me nuts...  being a bass player, sound guy.. I try to get the low end as right as it can be and float everything else on top of that most nights.  Having some F# and G not there in my bass guitar would be problematic...

This hits songs written in eMin, G, D, C, A, B ... like every common guitar key...  as the sheep say. bAAAAd...

Hmmm, electronic crossover not always equal to acoustic crossover. There may not be a perceptible (3 dB or more) “hole” where the electronic crossover gap is. Sometimes there is an excess buildup, not a hole, where subs and highs are crossed at the same frequency due to additive frequencies not properly accounted for. As they say, “it depends”.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »

Hmmm, electronic crossover not always equal to acoustic crossover. There may not be a perceptible (3 dB or more) “hole” where the electronic crossover gap is. Sometimes there is an excess buildup, not a hole, where subs and highs are crossed at the same frequency due to additive frequencies not properly accounted for. As they say, “it depends”.

^^^ THIS.

And if the sub to top levels are "haystacked", which is VERY common, the subwoofer has an acoustic LPF that is proportionately higher with increased drive level.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »

Yes - this.
When I first got my PRX718xlf's and saw that the HP filter is set at 100hz yet passes through at 120hz, I called JBL and asked this question. I was told the same thing Rick said and have never noticed a hole using them with my DSR's. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.