ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall  (Read 3450 times)

Mal Brown

Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »

I’ve been offered 4 of these in trade for an item I have up for sale.  Value at approx $500 per unit.  They have seen use as floor monitors for the most part.

As speakers go... how are these ? Suitable for small FOH ? Small DJ support ?  Or floor monitor only...  As a step between QSC k12’s and low-153’s ?

Do they highpass for use with a sub or will I need a drive rack ?  I have a bunch of kw-181’s.  No plans for Yamaha subs...

I recall Ms Dunkley having some issues with (I think...) the 112 variant.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:08:49 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Taylor Hall

Re: Yamaha DSR 15
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »

At that valuation I'd want to hear/inspect them first. Those cabinets retail for double that amount so they're either in rough shape visually, or have been run harder than the guy is letting on. I could see why he would say he mostly used them for monitors, though, as they weigh in at 60lbs each...

As far as performance, the DSR series is no slouch and can handle any of the scenarios you listed. They do have a built in high pass for use with a sub, looks like it's set at 120Hz so it should play pretty well with the KW181 since I think their lpf engages around there as well.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »

DSR115 doesn't have a wedge angle unless it was using something to prop it up or used as sidefills/drumfill. The DSR is in the same tier as the KW and the PRX700/800.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »

I'd be curious about the age of the speakers and number of hours in use. And, as Thomas mentioned, the DSR115 doesn't have a wedge angle, so using it as a floor monitor would've been tricky.

Perhaps if you could run some measurements on them prior to buying/trading, it would might be a decent deal. New list = $999ea; street new (asking for discount) should be around $750ea new. $500ea used, if in good shape, is pretty reasonable.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »

DSR115 doesn't have a wedge angle unless it was using something to prop it up or used as sidefills/drumfill. The DSR is in the same tier as the KW and the PRX700/800.
I've seen a few small bands with little angled platforms to do just that. Kind of a niche solution since it seems like nearly every 2-way cabinet has a monitor angle these days, but I guess sometimes ya gotta work with what ya got.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Al Poulin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

I’ve been offered 4 of these in trade for an item I have up for sale.  Value at approx $500 per unit.  They have seen use as floor monitors for the most part.

As speakers go... how are these ? Suitable for small FOH ? Small DJ support ?  Or floor monitor only...  As a step between QSC k12’s and low-153’s ?

Do they highpass for use with a sub or will I need a drive rack ?  I have a bunch of kw-181’s.  No plans for Yamaha subs...

Odd choice for monitors IMO. The DSR115 have immense power reserves, but need some EQ applied as they seem to lack beef in the mid frequencies - at least I found they had a bit too much top end and bass compared to the mids - out of the box. They are heavy, but their dimensions make them OK to move around, compared to I don't know NX750Ps or PS15Ps...   
I recall Ms Dunkley having some issues with (I think...) the 112 variant.

Thanks!
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »

Make sure they are the DSR115 with a wooden enclosure, not the DXR15 made from plastic.
The DXR is still a good box, but definitely a step down from the DSR.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »

These turn out to be dsr 112.  Communications mistake on my part nothing nefarious.   
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »

Fair enough.
DSR112s are better-known around here. Low-frequency support seems to be pretty much mandatory but once that's in place, by all accounts they're an impressive box.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 02:35:33 AM »

There is a lot of love for the DSR112 here.  It does get silly loud and I can't think of another word than uncluttered compared to the KW112 (QSC) that have been out workhorse SOS rigs for years.

The DSR's work well with the kw181's and for the most part the KW's are all on monitor and fill duty now.  With the KW181 you have to use an external crossover.

I will say the DSR's are no where near as rugged as the KW's.  They are made of a composite material that is finer than MDF but chips easy.  My apes have taken chunks out of them I have had to repair with Bondo.  Debbie has a knack for keeping her gear like new but if your stuff is out all the time and moved by crews these are the wrong boxes.  I am going to case them up.  Only way they will last long enough to lay for themselves.

I bought a pair of DZR's and I have been running them myself.  They are noticeably better than the DSR's and very easy to mix on.  I have no way to quantify it simply that I don't have to work hard to get then sounding good.  Little EQ and they too get silly loud.  They also look very high end with the grill foam. 

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yamaha DSR 12... not the 15 afterall
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 02:35:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.