ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Unruly Multi-Pair Snake Cable  (Read 6326 times)

Matt Lillie

• SR Forums
Re: Unruly Multi-Pair Snake Cable
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »

Hi Geri,
IJIS is not suitable for portable use, if I remember correctly.

-Matt

I'm talking about the 48- to 54-channel snake cables that, over time, develop kinks and curls and eventually makes the cable almost unmanagable. The problem has happened with a couple of 25-ft whips with Ramlatch connectors built by me several years ago. It's the Rapco IJIS 64-channel snake cable and I installed the connectors, being very careful to make sure the individual conductors were cut the same length. Over the last two years, both 25ft whips have developed bad curls and kinks along the length of the cable. I've grown concerned that both cables would show strained conductors inside the Ramlatch shells, but all the slack I allowed for inside the shells is still there, nothing pulled tighter than anything else.

I've heard that this happens when a few of the conductors "shorten" or kink up inside the outer jacket of the cable, which makes sense. And I've seen both of these whips rolled up to go inside the stage racks, which makes for a very tight bundle and a practice that I outlawed around here a few years.

Could that be the cause of the kinking of the cable?

Is there a solution to this problem, other than removing one end and seeing if the cable can be straightened. out?

Is there a better cable to use than this Rapco cable? I don't think I've ever seen a blue Whirlwind cable with this issue.

I'm about to order cable of some kind and rebuild these two whips. All of the channels work in both whips, but it's very unsightly and impossible to roll up and store.

At my age and the condition of my hands and fingers, I'm positively dreading the very tedious job of crimping pins and assembling the connectors.

Thanx for any ideas.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »

Hi Matt,

Hi Geri,
IJIS is not suitable for portable use, if I remember correctly.

-Matt

First I've heard of this.  My old IJIS Gepco snakes have zero corkscrewing, also one other brand I can't remember.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »

I too think this is a manufacturing issue. I'm still using multi cables I built in the late 80s and no kinks or twists and it has been coiled by some real rookies!
When I had some 25' multi core go "telephone" the supplier replaced them and told me it was a manufacturing run problem.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »

At my age and the condition of my hands and fingers, I'm positively dreading the very tedious job of crimping pins and assembling the connectors.

It's really the fingers?    I'm 63 and my eyes are the biggest issue on cable repair.  I dread trying to solder even 1 XLR cable.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »

It's really the fingers?    I'm 63 and my eyes are the biggest issue on cable repair.  I dread trying to solder even 1 XLR cable.
Amen there brother!  I’m four years ahead of you and use a pair of 3.25 power readers as well as a rechargeable headlamp for any close-up work. The depth-of-field at that magnification sucks but the light helps immensely.
..db

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »

I'll see you August 3rd at H&Ms with Hannah, let's compare maladies.... ;D

James, the darnest thing is, it's a little painful on the finger joints for soldering and crimping pins, nothing that periodic breaks and BC powder doesn't help. And I'm teaching 2 younger guys the fine art of that crap, anyway. With the right glasses, I can see fine. I have the bi-focals ground so I can read music on a stand anywhere from 2 to 3 feet away. And I use reading glasses for really close work.

But I NEVER have hand problems when playing. I can play bass for hours and not have any problems, except for my right hand getting "comfortably numb" after an hour or two. I'm also working at playing a little lighter, which will hopefully help the situation down the road, if need be.

Back on topic, I just tossed a 25-ft Ramlatch whip (Yeah, I removed the connectors... ::)) because it was so wound up, several of the conductors finally pulled loose from the pins. No repairing it.

Hunk Huang

• Soundman and cable designer
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:09 AM »

I still feel it's a manufacturing issue, not a coiling issue.

The machine for cable production is the key
Soundman and cable designer

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »

I'm bringing this up again because James was a dear friend. About a month ago, I was attending Jazz night at the establishment where James was the house tech (along with managing his exploding AV/video business). James was working on the rig in the not-in-use other room that night. He came by the table, we talked for a few minutes, then the band started and James went about his tasks, working alone.

Around an hour later, a manager found James on the floor in that room. He had suffered a massive heart attack and had been gone for quite a while before being found. James was the pinnacle of nice guy, hard work equals great rewards and was talking of having someone manage his growing business while he took more time to be with his grandkids.

We lost a really great guy, friend, and family man that night. Coming across this thread this morning made me smile.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:44:25 PM by Geri O'Neil »

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 08:51:56 AM »

I'm bring this again because James was, yes, was a dear friend. About a month ago, I was attending Jazz night at the establishment where James was the house tech (along with managing his exploding AV/video business). James was working on the rig in the not-in-use other room that night. He came by the table, we talked for a few minutes, then the band started and James went about his tasks, working alone.

Around an hour later, a manager found James on the floor in that room. He had suffered a massive heart attack and had been gone for quite a while before being found. James was the pinnacle of nice guy, hard work equals great rewards and was talking of having someone manage his growing business while he took more time to be with his grandkids.

We lost a really great guy, friend, and family man that night. Coming across this thread this morning made me smile.

Wow, sad news. It's not that often active forum members pass away, I hope his family are coping well.
I'm glad you're able to remember him in a positive way - I'm sure any one of us would want that when we (eventually) go to the big gig in the sky.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

Wow...sorry to hear that. :-(
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.