ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for bright front lighting  (Read 2543 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Looking for bright front lighting
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »

I have a bunch of dj grade LED lights that are ok for small gigs and backlighting, but still keep a few bars of 500w par cans for front lghting for community theatre and similar events. Price of high output LED’s kept me from going further.
I just finished up a week of community theatre shows and would like to look into LED’s again. Anything new out there that will keep up to a 500w ungelled conventional lamp at a reasonable price?
Thanks. BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Looking for bright front lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »

https://altmanlighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PAR56-64.pdf

https://www.blizzardpro.com/products/hotbox-rgba

https://www.convertunits.com/from/lux/to/fc

I would say any decent LED par these days will compete with a 500w par can on the "white" side of things, but when you start talking color they blow it out of the water for the deep hues that pars don't have in their tungsten spectrum already.

If you want front lighting for theatre then some high refresh rate RGBAW with temp color correction might be in order.
(Chauvet professional series or similar.)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »

RGBA-Lime (RGBAL) will mix pretty much any colors that you can get with gels.  For a leko-type fixture, the Chauvet Pro Ovation FC-910 is pretty nice. If you already have Source 4 barrels, you can save some money and buy the Ovation fixture without the lens and barrel assembly.  All of the standard S4 beam sizes are available, including manual zoom lenses.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:47:56 AM »

I have a bunch of dj grade LED lights that are ok for small gigs and backlighting, but still keep a few bars of 500w par cans for front lghting for community theatre and similar events. Price of high output LED’s kept me from going further.
I just finished up a week of community theatre shows and would like to look into LED’s again. Anything new out there that will keep up to a 500w ungelled conventional lamp at a reasonable price?
Thanks. BJ
What’s your reason for wanting LED? For tungsten white, I still use S4 pars which are now available for about $50 each on EBay, produce significantly more output than a 500w Par 64 bulb even with the 575w HPL lamp, have interchangeable lenses, and will use your existing dimmers. The HPL lamp will be available for a long time, and spares are the size of a guitar amp tube rather than a salad bowl.

If you want color mixing or zooming, I would encourage you to look at the Chauvet Rogue R2 wash units. The physical size and even the price is comparable to some of the nicer front wash lights, and you get movement as well as zoom and color. They make a very nice tungsten white, are video safe, and since they are movers, you probably can get away with fewer fixtures and just reuse them than if you’re doing conventional lights. I have tested them against S4 lekos with 575w short-life lamps (brighter than your 500w pars) and the Rogue washes keep up.

If you need leko-style features, then Mark’s suggestion is probably a good start.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »

When I think theater, I tend to think of the need for beam control, and therefore shutters. If you don't need that control, then a moving wash is more useful as you can move and zoom along with color changes.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.