ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for techs that travel  (Read 2466 times)

Steve Ferreira

Question for techs that travel
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »

Hi all,

I have been contacted by a local band to mix them in another city that is 5 hours away. The sound provider would be paying my bill. All expenses are covered by the band hotel, food etc..
When I reached out to the sound provider they said it was to mix the band and turn on an emcee mic. Looks like it would be travel on Friday, gig Saturday with travel back home on the Sunday in a car. I have an idea of what to charge them but the market out there is different then the market I'm in. What is a ballpark price that some of you would charge?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Question for techs that travel
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »

Hi all,

I have been contacted by a local band to mix them in another city that is 5 hours away. The sound provider would be paying my bill. All expenses are covered by the band hotel, food etc..
When I reached out to the sound provider they said it was to mix the band and turn on an emcee mic. Looks like it would be travel on Friday, gig Saturday with travel back home on the Sunday in a car. I have an idea of what to charge them but the market out there is different then the market I'm in. What is a ballpark price that some of you would charge?

So is the band paying the sound provider?  So ultimately the band is the end client?

I've no idea what a market day rate for this would be.  But i would charge a half day rate for the travel days and a full day rate for the show day.  Don't forget to bill for MILEAGE [not gas] for your vehicle as well.

Oh, and i don't do flat day rates, so show day would be day rate up to ten hours and OT past that.  But i don't do much band work anymore, so YMMV.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »

So is the band paying the sound provider?  So ultimately the band is the end client?

I've no idea what a market day rate for this would be.  But i would charge a half day rate for the travel days and a full day rate for the show day.  Don't forget to bill for MILEAGE [not gas] for your vehicle as well.

Oh, and i don't do flat day rates, so show day would be day rate up to ten hours and OT past that.  But i don't do much band work anymore, so YMMV.

The band was hired by the organizers and so was the sound provider. The provider doesn't  have a tech available that day so the provider has reached out to me. A familiar face and I have mixed the band many times in the past.
I won't be travelling in my car, I would be travelling with the band. Should have mentioned that.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »

The band was hired by the organizers and so was the sound provider. The provider doesn't  have a tech available that day so the provider has reached out to me. A familiar face and I have mixed the band many times in the past.
I won't be travelling in my car, I would be travelling with the band. Should have mentioned that.

I think it distills down to questions less about regional rates and more about relationships and opportunities.

If you work regularly with the band, you might ask them what they think is a fair rate for your time. You might also check with the organizer to see if there are future opportunities available, and if so, do this first gig as a bit of a trial run.

Provided you like working with and hanging out with the band and provided it's not impeding on personal stuff or other gigs, I'd see it as a fun, lower-stress event that might be like a mini-getaway. If the hotel is decent, and you have some say in the food, I'd probably price it at 80% of my normal full production rate and call it good, but that's just me (and I'm no longer in business).

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

If I am travelling to a show, I can't earn any money on another show.
I generally charge half my day rate for travel days. A travel day does NOT include any work relating to the show.
If they want a travel and unload and setup day, full day rate.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »

If I am travelling to a show, I can't earn any money on another show.
I generally charge half my day rate for travel days. A travel day does NOT include any work relating to the show.
If they want a travel and unload and setup day, full day rate.
+1
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Josh Hana

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »

A simple "walk up and mix" gig could be anywhere from $250-500+ depending on the scale of the show and the market. I generally charge a full day for each travel day, plus PD/expenses unless otherwise negotiated.

In all reality, if it's a company and/or band I enjoy working with, I'd probably give them half-days for travel (although driving five hours is a pretty big ask, I usually wouldn't drive over three hours for a one-day gig).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.