ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Venting  (Read 5776 times)

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
I'm Venting
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »

OK, so I confess up front that I'm posting here to blow off some steam.

Some background first.  We attend a small church.  The building was probably based on a home plan.  The auditorium seats, at max, maybe 110.  The ceiling is peaked inside, with, I'm estimating, about 15 ft. to the top.  Not too high, and lower when you're on the platform with is raised about 15 inches.

A couple of years ago we got rid of the old Radio Shack speakers hanging in the front off the ceiling and replaced them with 6, 70v ceiling speakers.  These run 3 on a side, starting about 10 feet from the pulpit.  Since the room is so small, we don't need that much sound reinforcement, and this works.

We've EQ'd the house and floor monitors with an external EQ.  W use a small analog 12 channel audio mixer.  Everything works pretty well for what we need.

So yesterday I arrive.  I missed Sunday School and arrive before the morning service.  The pastor sees me and asks to speak to me (that's unusual).  He takes me to the front and tells me that he's installed 2 new ceiling speakers.  RIGHT OVER THE PLATFORM!!!

I asked WHY?  Answer:  I had these left over from when we installed the other 6.  I looked in amazement and he said they had issues during Sunday School.  (Ya think?!?)  I said, "Yeah, FEEDBACK".  Right.  So he says, "I just wanted you to know so you can deal with it."  DEAL WITH IT??

So the service starts in 5 minutes and the song leader grabs a Shure wireless handheld, turns it on and SQUEEEEL!.  Oh my soul!  (Realize that the new speakers are no more than 5 feet above his head, depending on where he's standing, pointing down at the top of his mic)

I mess with the channel EQ and maybe it helps a little.  Then.....during the offertory special, a group of 5 come up an open 5 mics!!!  I pull my Glock and think to end my life right then and there.

Amazingly, the pastor's lav gives little trouble.  Some, but not much.

Well, I'm steamed by the time we're done.  He'll either disconnect those new speakers or we've got major problems.

What's the moral of my story?  I have no idea.  Keep the pastor from doing stupid things?

Oh, I didn't mention how this affected overall house sound.  Do I really need ot mention that?

David Allred

Re: I'm Venting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »

Do the speakers have "tappable" transformers?  You could tap them down to a whisper.  Or snip.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:39:19 AM by David Allred »

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »

Do the speakers have "tappable" transformers?  You could tap them down to a whisper.  Or snip.

That's a good question and one I thought about later.  Of course, I'm not speaking to this man right now.  When I cool down I'll ask, but that's not a solution.

If we EQ just for those speakers, we'll affect all the house sound and the sound on our stream.

A shotgun could be a fix, eh?

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »

Simple solution. Turn off the new speakers. You've mentioned guns twice. I don't think that's the right solution. Unless you're doing an impulse response analysis.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Simple solution. Turn off the new speakers. You've mentioned guns twice. I don't think that's the right solution. Unless you're doing an impulse response analysis.

i need the LOL emoji.  'cause i just did....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »

Explain to the Pastor that installing those speakers was a bad decision and get out your wire cutters.
The 9mm solution creates more problems and is messy ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »

You've mentioned guns twice. I don't think that's the right solution. Unless you're doing an impulse response analysis.

LOL!

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »

The 9mm solution creates more problems and is messy ;D

9mm is for wimps, bro.  LOL!

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »

Try a shotgun mic. ;)

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.