ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting USB2 to the NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit  (Read 756 times)

jabney (john abney)

Getting USB2 to the NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:45:39 pm »

I have a Behringer UMC1820, which is a sound module which connects through its USB2 B socket. I want to get a NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit to work with the UMC1820.

Here's the problem: the Jetson Developer Kit has 4 USB3 type A (the blue ones).  That probably won't work since those are USB3s, and Behringer UMCs don't like USB3. Disconnecting the Jetson's USB2 power function is OK as long as the Jetson's 4-amp 5v barrel is used. But does that mean I can still get non-powered USB2? I couldn't find much about it in the NVIDIA official docs except which jack to turn off. (There is also a 40 pin header available, but that has almost no documentation at all in the Jetson section.)

AI is new to me. The forums at NVIDIA seem mainly to be about video. And as for me, getting the 'Developer Kit;' is simply the cheapest way for me to get to the NVIDIA Jetson Nano and its AI drivers. For my device, the audio will be at least as important as the video. So your comments will be appreciated.

best, john

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Getting USB2 to the NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:40:52 am »

I mostly have no idea what youíre talking about.  Even after looking up the Jetson thing.  That said, use a USB2 cable and youíll connect as a USB2 device.  Unless the umc has problems with usb controllers.  If it does then itís going to be screwed connecting to anything modern.  Usb3 cables have extra wires as do the corresponding sockets but the sockets are physically backwards compatible as are the controllers all the way back to usb 1 standards.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:27:21 am »

That probably won't work since those are USB3s, and Behringer UMCs don't like USB3.

I'm not sure where you heard this; I've never had trouble running my UMC202HD with my Surface Pro (which only has a USB3 port), either directly or on a (USB3) hub.

-Russ

Daniel Levi

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:06 am »

I'm not sure where you heard this; I've never had trouble running my UMC202HD with my Surface Pro (which only has a USB3 port), either directly or on a (USB3) hub.

-Russ

Agreed, never any problems on both my Dell Inspiron 5000 or my older Asus TP300LA with a UMC204HD, again via a USB3 port.

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:58:34 pm »

The computers I use for sound are older HP used workstations with native USB2 only. So after reading the comments, I connected the UMC1820 to a laptop with native USB3. That works! Hooray. Though the real problem is still there, only the scope of the problem is narrowed. So now I need to see if the problem is with my particular add-on USB3 cards, or if I should upgrade the sound computers to ones with native USB3.

Why not laptops? The cost of an extremely powerful laptop is already a problem for most people, and I'm trying to develop a system using AI for stroke survivors and the like with AVA - Audible Verbal Agnosia. (AVA is also known as 'Word Deafness' and it happens in the brain, not in the ears.) Even when Medicare is available (and stroke-land has a lot of Medicare cards in it), the IRS won't allow devices that do too much. IRS approved devices have to be purposely limited to extremely specific tasks. That's why I'm developing a game for people with brain damage. Avoiding medicare entirely.

AI doesn't always have to be about building robots and destroying worlds. So my system, VVWording, should be a 'good' thing using AI - I hope. And sound people are probably the safest people to trust working with AI. That's because a mix itself cannot be a lie.

best, john

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:58:34 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.