ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync, multiple systems at different rates.  (Read 1760 times)

Thomas Lamb

Sync, multiple systems at different rates.
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »

So as part of our new system my goal was to make sure everything was in sync. I’ve been looking at the studio-tech 5401 to sync up all of our DANTE sources and destinations feeding it with possibly a Big Ben with an x video card (although it’s discontinued) that way we could output black burst for the video side as well. Then everything should be happy! However, how do you deal with the consoles running at 96k and everything else living in a 48k world? Is there a sync generator I’m missing that does both? It does look like the brainstorm DXD8 does multiple formats simultaneously… I’ve done a bunch of googling but if someone knows of s great article I haven’t found please send it my way.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

Re: Sync, multiple systems at different rates.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »

I use a 5401 to clock Dante off VBB; works well.

PTP isn’t tied to particular sample rate, so devices on the Dante network operating at multiple sample rates could be clocked from the 5401.

Otherwise I’m sure I’ve seen a few worldclock generators that have a few outputs at 2xFS.

The 5401 has a word clock output; which you could take to a DA and feed to your non Dante connected devices - no need for a Big Ben necessarily.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:46:47 AM by Phillip Ivan Pietruschka »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »

So as part of our new system my goal was to make sure everything was in sync. I’ve been looking at the studio-tech 5401 to sync up all of our DANTE sources and destinations feeding it with possibly a Big Ben with an x video card (although it’s discontinued) that way we could output black burst for the video side as well. Then everything should be happy! However, how do you deal with the consoles running at 96k and everything else living in a 48k world? Is there a sync generator I’m missing that does both? It does look like the brainstorm DXD8 does multiple formats simultaneously… I’ve done a bunch of googling but if someone knows of s great article I haven’t found please send it my way.
If you want to sync to video you will want something like a Big Ben that can take video sync and output Word Clock in sync with it. That WC can be sent to a Dante device that can sync to external clock, which then becomes the clock master for the Dante network. All other Dante devices should clock off the network, only the clock master should be connected to the "Big Ben".

Dante can support devices that run at different clock rates, but they can't talk to each other. A 48k device can send to and receive from other 48k devices, and a 96k device can send to and receive from a 96k device. 48k won't talk to 96k and vice versa.

Mac

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »

Lynx Technick SPG 1707 will take video reference in and generate new video reference and matching 48k wordclock.  It’ll also generate sync internally.  I’ve got one on a system working as a wc generator for 48k audio.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:39:29 AM »

And don’t forget that just cause a device is 96k, it still may be able to talk 48k on Dante.
The A&H SQ series is an example. It can do 96k over Dante if you need to or run the Dante stream at 48k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:39:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.