ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering renting  (Read 3569 times)

Steve Mason

Considering renting
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »

Hi all.  I am a small sound provider who kind of just fell into it when offered an opportunity to provide sound for our small county fair when their previous provider "outgrew" the gig.  I have managed to prosumer my way through the last two years but am considering upgrading subs at the very least.  I have the ability to rent in powered ELX subs and mains. No JBL provider in the area for rentals.  Music lineup is 22 acts over 4 days ranging from local drum circle to jazz to hippie folk to country to 90's rock covers.  I am attaching a picture of the stage.  We only play out to about 100'.and I don't need huge spl at that distance. Beyond that ambient sound is all we need.  My question is, What is the opinion of what I would need to adequately cover this 40' X 100 foot area.  The ELX's are what I have to work with so please remain within that confine.

For those that wonder what I would be trying to improve on it would be 6 X PV118 passive subs and 2 x PV215 mains and 2 X PV 115 mains with adequate power behind them.

Attached photo is stage view looking out to crowd.

Respectful opinions appreciated.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Mal Brown

Re: Considering renting
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:02 PM »

If I were covering that it would be 4 1x18 subs, 2 3 way tops on short poles.  2 powered 1x10 and Horn as front vocal in fill.

A rock band with an SVT and a couple of 50 watt tube guitar amps could (and have) walk all over that.

In your case, if you can rent it would be a 2 sub per top rental IMO.  If the EV stuff is best you can get, get that.

Every rig has it’s limits.  Trick is to identify those and work within them to deliver the best possible per scenario.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »

I don't think you would improve on max SPL with an ELX system but sounds like that isn't your problem anyway. I think to make a significant improvement you need to step up to much better mains(EV ETX) or maybe add much better processing to the existing rig.. how is the PV rig processed anyway?

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »

Every time I see a location like that, my brain says "hmmm, KF850".
2 a side with some subs an off you go.

Steve Mason

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

Do those come with a crane?  :-)
Proz Act Audio

Steve Mason

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »

If I were covering that it would be 4 1x18 subs, 2 3 way tops on short poles.  2 powered 1x10 and Horn as front vocal in fill.

A rock band with an SVT and a couple of 50 watt tube guitar amps could (and have) walk all over that.

In your case, if you can rent it would be a 2 sub per top rental IMO.  If the EV stuff is best you can get, get that.

Every rig has it’s limits.  Trick is to identify those and work within them to deliver the best possible per scenario.

We generally only have local folks on the bill and we are a small community so I know almost everyone and everyone is pretty good about not cranking their Marshall half stack (or equivalent) to 11. As for out of town bands I won't book them until I am confident they understand their amps/speakers are only for their reference on stage and to put out a signal/mic feed to my board.  I like working with "old farts" who get it.
Proz Act Audio

Steve Mason

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 08:08:58 PM »

I don't think you would improve on max SPL with an ELX system but sounds like that isn't your problem anyway. I think to make a significant improvement you need to step up to much better mains(EV ETX) or maybe add much better processing to the existing rig.. how is the PV rig processed anyway?

Crown XLS series amps (generally rated 120% of speaker "peak" capacity) 18's get lo pass filter 125 and below.  215's get full range signal  and 115's get hi pass at 250 and above.  Compression via Behringer Composer XL compressor generally using "auto" settings because we switch from musical style every act pretty much.  Pretty basic. No computers, just me and some knobs and sliders (and I don't mean my crew).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:57:11 PM by Steve Mason »
Proz Act Audio

Steve Mason

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »

May have located QSC  4x KLA12, 4x KW181, for a reasonable price within a 3 hour drive.  Fingers crossed
Proz Act Audio

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »

This is exactly the type of gig that keeps us from selling our 850s.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 05:30:21 AM »

Crown XLS series amps (generally rated 120% of speaker "peak" capacity) 18's get lo pass filter 125 and below.  215's get full range signal  and 115's get hi pass at 250 and above.  Compression via Behringer Composer XL compressor generally using "auto" settings because we switch from musical style every act pretty much.  Pretty basic. No computers, just me and some knobs and sliders (and I don't mean my crew).

I'd recommend ditching the compressor unless you're using it for peak limiting on an "oops" moment:
- Dropped mic
- Making/breaking a connection with phantom power.

You might be surprised at what you can get out of your system (in terms of quality) with a measurement mic and some EQ work.
The thing to remember, though, is you've only got a pair of 1" (exit) compression drivers per side, and that's gonna put a limit on things.

If you were up for a little bit of DIY to improve your system, find a pair of 90x40 (or 90x60) horns that match the existing cutouts and have a 1.4" or 2" throat. Add a larger compression driver and tri-amp the system.

May have located QSC  4x KLA12, 4x KW181, for a reasonable price within a 3 hour drive.  Fingers crossed

Read some reviews on the KLAs before going to get them. I'd bet you could buy a measurement mic and USB interface for less.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 05:30:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.