ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AES Memebership  (Read 6455 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
AES Memebership
« on: May 10, 2019, 05:54:37 PM »

When upgrading from associate to full member, in the section for "Other Accomplishments", they give examples of papers and patents, etc..

What constitutes "etc"? Is that where I would list my symphony recording and broadcasts credits? Or are they specifically looking for published papers and patents, or other such academic accomplishments?

Also, do they usually approve membership upgrades if you don't have a degree in audio engineering or electronics, etc..?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: AES Memebership
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »

When upgrading from associate to full member, in the section for "Other Accomplishments", they give examples of papers and patents, etc..

What constitutes "etc"? Is that where I would list my symphony recording and broadcasts credits? Or are they specifically looking for published papers and patents, or other such academic accomplishments?

Also, do they usually approve membership upgrades if you don't have a degree in audio engineering or electronics, etc..?

You do not need to list accomplishments that I am aware of, I never did. You do not need a degree.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »

you're ok...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

Bonus points if you've attended Full Sail. (Especially if it's been multiple times...)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »

I've never even bothered to apply for full membership. The only difference is that you get to vote in board elections and hold office in the organization.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »

Perhaps TMI but back in the day I even managed to join the IEEE without a college degree, but I have long since let professional organization dues lapse.

If you want to join go for it. They don't make money by excluding people, especially professionals.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:07:51 PM »

I've never even bothered to apply for full membership. The only difference is that you get to vote in board elections and hold office in the organization.

Full membership costs no more than Associate, and having another live sound person voting would improve the organization by having our viewpoint (to the extent it's unitary) better represented.

Everyone should be a Full Member IMHO. In fact, I think that simply being a member for X years (3, maybe?) should result in an automatic transfer of membership to Full.

The relatively pathetic voting numbers would have to increase as a result, as well as being more representative of ALL the people who both bother and pay to be members.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »

I was looking into it, because I wanted to try to start a chapter in Oklahoma. Turns out there's only 9 AES members in the entire state.  :-\

Talked to the VP for the central States section out of Nashville awhile ago. He recommended 25 to 30 members to keep a chapter going.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »

I was looking into it, because I wanted to try to start a chapter in Oklahoma. Turns out there's only 9 AES members in the entire state.  :-\

Talked to the VP for the central States section out of Nashville awhile ago. He recommended 25 to 30 members to keep a chapter going.

Justice,
I have been an officer in the St. Louis section for a number of years.  Just stepped down as I am getting too busy. 
If you are really wanting to start a chapter there would probably be a number of things that some of our officers would be happy to share with you regarding not just professional members but also students, how we have organized meetings, partnering with other organizations (such as the Acoustical Society of America chapter in STL) for organizing and hosting events, etc.

PM sent as well.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »

Turns out there's only 9 AES members in the entire state.  :-\

I'm shocked, seriously. I wonder whether it's always been that bad or if AES is just dying. The local section here in San Francisco put on a lot of great presentations earlier this decade but it's gotten pretty sparse. These days, when there's anything,  it's mostly studio tours or companies trying to recruit engineers by serving free beer. After a while neither is that interesting to me.

Who seems more active around here is SMPTE, based on a few joint meetings I've gone to. They seem to be more hard-core technical, which is good, but often not that narrowly relevant to my interests.

Having said all that, I've gotten to meet some great people over the years at some of these section meetings. I joined AES in 1983 when I was living in Santa Barbara and went to a number of the Los Angeles section meetings. Those were big and frequent affairs, and I got to meet a few legends of the industry. Pretty cool for a wide-eyed kid. I hope AES persists, not least, for the benefit of today's wide-eyed kids.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.