ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AES Memebership  (Read 6464 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: AES Memebership
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »

Curious - is it worth joining the AES?

You get access to The Journal, which otherwise costs something like $35 PER ARTICLE (!). In larger metropolitan areas (it would appear from the foregoing discussion) there are local section meetings that, at times, are excellent. At these section meetings you get to meet other audio folks who have a wide range of interests. AES also at least used to have group insurance programs that may be useful. (I availed myself of their excess major medical insurance for many years. That was actually what kept me in AES for the 30 or so years when I kind of forgot about audio.) And then, of course, there are the conventions, both general and subject specific. The live sound meeting in Montreal a few years back was great.

I think if you're a consultant, studio owner, or a design engineer with professional ambitions (and have the political inclination), climbing the ladder inside AES is a way of being noticed and gaining contacts.

From chatting with the folks who were running the San Francisco section a few years ago I did get the impression that the mothership is a little prickly about what the sections can and can't do. Specifically, they cannot put on "purely social" events. All meetings need to be educational or somehow professional in nature. (But if they meet this criterion AES pays for copious bad sushi and tortilla roll platters from Safeway ;) )

AES covers many disciplines within audio and, overall, live sound is secondary to recording. But there is plenty there that is relevant to live sound providers and anyone generally interested in the art.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »

In larger metropolitan areas (it would appear from the foregoing discussion) there are local section meetings that, at times, are excellent. At these section meetings you get to meet other audio folks who have a wide range of interests.

SNIP

And then, of course, there are the conventions, both general and subject specific. The live sound meeting in Montreal a few years back was great.

All this, in spades.

From chatting with the folks who were running the San Francisco section a few years ago I did get the impression that the mothership is a little prickly about what the sections can and can't do. Specifically, they cannot put on "purely social" events. All meetings need to be educational or somehow professional in nature.

This should go without saying, and I have to say, for our Section, it goes without thinking. Getting together to discuss audio in its many forms is entirely the point, and a night of drinking and/or dancing would not even be considered. At least by us.

(But if they meet this criterion AES pays for copious bad sushi and tortilla roll platters from Safeway ;) )

We provide water and cookies at the intermission. Period.

AES covers many disciplines within audio and, overall, live sound is secondary to recording. But there is plenty there that is relevant to live sound providers and anyone generally interested in the art.

That entirely depends on who the Section leadership is and who is likely to attend. In ours, at least 1/3 of the time over the last 30 years a live sound person was Chair, so we tended to address live sound perhaps more than other Sections...

Good post, though.

Also, National has put a LOT of stuff online for Members to download for free, and if you like Technical Papers they are a literal trove of treasures.

Also, if you pay dues for 25 (consecutive?) years and turn 65, you can then apply to be a Life Member and get free annual membership and free major conventions.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »

Also, if you pay dues for 25 (consecutive?) years and turn 65, you can then apply to be a Life Member and get free annual membership and free major conventions.

Cool, I didn't know that. Three years to go -- for that and Medicare. Hope I make it. I can get my National Parks lifetime pass this month though.

BTW, where is your section? Sounds like a good one.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »

BTW, where is your section? Sounds like a good one.

--Frank

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/

Bob Moses as section chair? I'll miss him as AES Executive director.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »

Now you tell me, but I didn't quit because of the cost.  ::)

I ended up shipping a few decades of old journals to somebody who promised to read them.  8) The post office busted one of the shipping boxes apart and some of them that still had the original shipping labels on them came back, like bad pennies like swallows to Capistrano.

I used to religiously day trip in to attend the NYC show to see what was going on, when I lived in NE... later when attending (every single) trade show became my day job, it spoiled the fun, but still nice to network with industry professionals.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:22 PM »

Bob Moses as section chair? I'll miss him as AES Executive director.

Mac

Yes, he's from around here. It was gratifying that he was the only one who could take my place...

;D

Same for him as E.D., although his replacement seems to be jumping right in, in seemingly the right way, although I am no way an insider and even less so now (I am likely not going to be able to be in NYC during the Convention so have resigned as Historical Track Chair, alas).

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »

Well, my membership upgrade was approved.   8)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »

Well, my membership upgrade was approved.   8)

And mine was renewed
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »

Well Just paid my dues and became a full member, as well.

And mine was renewed
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.