ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: change a 4 pin DMX connector to a 3 pin DMX connector  (Read 2245 times)

Jesus Ortiz

change a 4 pin DMX connector to a 3 pin DMX connector
« on: May 10, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »

I just bought 12 RGB luminaires for the external part of a building, but the came with a 4 pin DMX connector and all the DMX512 I found accept a 3 Pin Dmx connector, I need to change the connector but I didn't know what cable  to eliminate or how to connect it, need your advise

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »

need your advise

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

John Fruits

Re: change a 4 pin DMX connector to a 3 pin DMX connector
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:51 AM »

What brand of fixtures and model?  Generally in DMX controlled lights with the 4 pin XLR it is using what is known as color scroller cable.  It uses a cable with a shielded twisted pair for the DMX signal plus a twisted pair for power.  One example is the City Theatrical unit for Color Kinetics.
http://www.citytheatrical.com/products/750-trx-pds
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »

...but they came with a 4 pin DMX connector...

Before saying that you need to adapt these to 3 pin you need to determine why they use 4 pin.  As John already mentioned, 4 pin usually involves power transmission and isn't interchangeable like 3 pin vs 5 pin DMX usually is.  You almost always need to use driver box that merges a power supply and any incoming DMX command signal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.