ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator - Good for powering active systems?  (Read 2823 times)

Mal Brown

Re: +1 on a quiet generator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 09:55:21 am »

Probably should double check the manual/web site but...  if it is in a well drained location and you can arrange to get it in the lee of something I would think that would be ok.   I’ve seen a bunch of ‘contractor grade’ generators run in the rain on construction sites.   Back in my Budweiser Water Ski Tour days the events were mostly contractor grade generator powered and those got rained on from time to time. 

Note: We were shoreline first aid and safety boat driver/staff not sound provider.   My wife and I coordinated the conscript labor (volunteers) for those events.  Generator refueling was one of the things we did often...
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Craig Smith

Re: Generator - Good for powering active systems?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 05:06:04 pm »

I've used a Honda 3000 (the best, really quiet), Yamaha 2400, Honda 2000, Honda 1000 (older, non-inverter), and Champion (non-inverter).  No problems with rain.  The older small Honda gave me problems though, even though I only had 2 100W speakers and a mixer.  Note that power ratings are startup power, continuous is usually around 20% less, and you'll lose power with altitude.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 03:11:18 am »

I'm pretty sure the case for using inverter generators has to do with how quiet they run.

That's reasonable.  But I have read things about them putting out a proper sine wave, which they don't quite, and an assumption that they were somehow better than a traditional generator.

Steve.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 03:44:43 am »

That's reasonable.  But I have read things about them putting out a proper sine wave, which they don't quite, and an assumption that they were somehow better than a traditional generator.

A traditional small generator has to spin precisely at 3600 RPM to maintain Voltage and Frequency, any deviation from 3600 RPM varies the V and F. As the electrical load varies, the carb has to add/subtract fuel to compensate for the increased load to maintain 3600 RPM and vice versa. Sudden load shifts like solo kick drum hits can instantly vary the load and the carb can't keep up fast enough so the RPM can momentarily sag or overrun due to the smaller generators having lighter weight flywheels (less energy stored). A small change in voltage shouldn't be a problem but varying frequency might cause issues depending on the gear and their tolerance to that. Traditionally, sound guys would add a moderate static load like a 500 or 1000 watt par can to pre-load the generator to minimize that fluctuation.

Inverter generators always put out a steady 120v, 60hz. The engine speed varies on inverters depending on load which not only makes them quieter running at a lower RPM (under lower loads), but more fuel efficient and longer lasting as well. Cheap box store construction generators usually have a much shorter lifespan. Only downside to inverters is they usually have small fuel tanks and cost more money.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:10:18 am by Len Zenith Jr »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 10:46:10 pm »

I take it you have not seen the current recall on the Honda EU generators that are leaking fuel and creating an explosion hazard?

https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/recalls-and-updates

I've used a Honda 3000 (the best, really quiet), Yamaha 2400, Honda 2000, Honda 1000 (older, non-inverter), and Champion (non-inverter).  No problems with rain.  The older small Honda gave me problems though, even though I only had 2 100W speakers and a mixer.  Note that power ratings are startup power, continuous is usually around 20% less, and you'll lose power with altitude.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 12:06:36 am »

I take it you have not seen the current recall on the Honda EU generators that are leaking fuel and creating an explosion hazard?

https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/recalls-and-updates

The recall of the Honda gensets has nothing to do with the underlying technology.

If anyone wants generator issues, the Cummins-Onan gasoline RV generators will give you lots to spend money on.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 03:46:47 am »

In 2004 I helped work up a quote for $4 million on a year's worth of expendables for Cummins-Onan gensets. For several months, there were no more 1 meg and 1.5 meg gensets available on the planet.

The recall of the Honda gensets has nothing to do with the underlying technology.

If anyone wants generator issues, the Cummins-Onan gasoline RV generators will give you lots to spend money on.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:09 am »

A traditional small generator has to spin precisely at 3600 RPM to maintain Voltage and Frequency, any deviation from 3600 RPM varies the V and F. As the electrical load varies, the carb has to add/subtract fuel to compensate for the increased load to maintain 3600 RPM and vice versa. Sudden load shifts like solo kick drum hits can instantly vary the load and the carb can't keep up fast enough so the RPM can momentarily sag or overrun due to the smaller generators having lighter weight flywheels (less energy stored).

That sounds like a description of a generator which is too small for the purpose.

Steve.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 08:21:00 am »

That sounds like a description of a generator which is too small for the purpose.

Steve.

Ya, but just how many think that since they have a 5K load, a 6K Genny is "just fine"
Instead, a 12 or 15K would be the Right Tool For The job.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 08:21:00 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.