ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator - Good for powering active systems?  (Read 8706 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Generator - Good for powering active systems?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 06:24:09 PM »

FWIW...

I have provided a PA system for a parade float for the last 3 years running, first year I rented an inverter generator but last 2 years I got a regular portable gas generator of sufficient size and had no problems. The PA is a 6000w passive system with rack amps but also a digital PA processor and mixing console. There are many other floats in the parade and they too all use regular generators with modern powered speakers in most cases and I have not heard of any issues.

Glen Hansen

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 12:17:16 AM »

honda eu2000i king imho used range from 450 beat up still running great  to 650 + or - clean and minty. Second runner up genuine yamaha.  both yamaha and honda and many others offer parallel power and eco throttle. We get what we pay for honda quiet delivering the actual ac amps real ac surge and real clean ac sine wave power.  3 years from now the honda eu2000i will not loose value.

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »

A-I brand 1600 watt inverter at Home Depot, $369.  $499 Lowe’s... 

OEM branded engine. Engine mfgr is Senci who might be the OEM of A-I.  They list 2 models in this range.   The SUA with generic engine and the SC using the Yamaha.  Interesting.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/A-iPower-1600-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-inverter-Portable-Generator-SUA2000i/300199211?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD29B%7C29-9_BATH_ACCESSORIES%7CNA%7CPLA|71700000032919342|58700003861054714|92700041934814601&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqMin8Z-g4gIVmP5kCh1_FAByEAQYASABEgIUvfD_BwE
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:37:40 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 03:10:08 AM »

I have never understood why some people insist on an inverter generator.  If you turn a coil of wire through a magnetic field, you get a pure sine wave.  That has got to be better than the stepped sine wave approximation from an inverter generator. And guess what supplies the national grid... not inverters!

And just about everything has a switched mode power supply now.  That will run on a square wave!

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:23:40 AM »

After being a Costco member for 2 months I actually went into the store and on a shelf was Firman product.

I can now say I've seen and touched one.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tracy Garner

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »

I have never understood why some people insist on an inverter generator.  If you turn a coil of wire through a magnetic field, you get a pure sine wave.  That has got to be better than the stepped sine wave approximation from an inverter generator. And guess what supplies the national grid... not inverters!

And just about everything has a switched mode power supply now.  That will run on a square wave!

Steve.

For me, it was a matter of it is my Honda EU3000 is more quiet than most other generators. Doing an outdoor gig I can literally use it as one of the tent weights on a corner of the tent and not even hear it running. When I do the tailgate thing it is crazy annoying to hear those construction generators around me.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure the case for using inverter generators has to do with how quiet they run.

Steve.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Ferreira

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 07:55:57 PM »

I wonder when the first guy here will use a very quiet Tesla power wall.
John Ferreira

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »

I did an Earth Day event a couple of years ago that was powered by solar panels and batteries.
Unfortunately, the provider showed up over an hour late, so I couldn't even turn the PA on until they set up.
I'll bring a generator next time for setup just in case.
The event went well, just lots of unnecessary stress at the beginning.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Monte

• My website
+1 on a quiet generator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:50 AM »

For me, it was a matter of it is my Honda EU3000 is more quiet than most other generators. Doing an outdoor gig I can literally use it as one of the tent weights on a corner of the tent and not even hear it running. When I do the tailgate thing it is crazy annoying to hear those construction generators around me.

I provided the system for a 5K run in Boston last month.  This was a remote gig and I was to use my generator.
The predicted weather was heavy rain..

At my (among others) suggestion, the organizers procured a 80x40 tent.  On the day of the event it went from cool and damp to heavy rain several times...there was "puddling" in spots under the tent.

My eu3000is was under the tent, 10' to the left of the stage ("down-wind").  Once the music/speeches started the generator noise was unobtrusive, even with the reflective qualities of the tent.

I have another outdoor event coming up in June.  This annual event provides a Predator 4000 generator for the stage.  The power is adequate for the DJ's needs although the generator is louder and thus placed father away from the stage.... 
This event is also rain/shine. 
There is a covering (pop-up) for the stage...however, if it rains, there is no room for the gen under the cover...

ProSoundWeb Community

+1 on a quiet generator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.