ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Public address system  (Read 3793 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Portable Public address system
« on: May 10, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »

What's decent quality in a small portable system that can do the following:
1-2 Speakers on stands with integrated wireless, 2 hand held W/L mics, 1 iPod/Phone input for music (BT would be a bonus)
Something that packs together but has decent quality as well as able to withstand a bit of rain and keep working. Bonus if it's lightweight and easy to carry around.
For a community center for meetings and outdoor announcements (<50 people), so operated by non-technical folks. Something that sounds good out of the box.

What's decent these days?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:21:24 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: Portable Public address system
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »

2 Speakers on stands2 Wireless hand held mics1 iPod/Phone input for music (BT would be a bonus)
Something that packs together but has decent quality as well as able to withstand a bit of rain and keep working. Bonus if it's lightweight and easy to carry around.
For a community center for meetings and outdoor announcements (<50 people), so operated by non-technical folks. Something that sounds good out of the box.

Yamaha Stagepas 400BT or 600BT

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »

Yamaha Stagepas 400BT or 600BT
Thanks, Tom. I had looked at those. Too complicated and overkill for non-techies, and too expensive. Also doesn't have built-in wireless...

I'm looking at the Galaxy Traveler Quest or Anchor Go Getter 2 system, wondering if anyone has any opinions about those?

Any other manufacturers make something that has 2 wireless receivers built in? (The Sennheiser LSP500 system looks amazing, but at $2500 without wireless makes it a bit too expensive...)
-Andy

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »

Never used one so can't speak to quality.....Fender Passport system??
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »

Thanks, Tom. I had looked at those. Too complicated and overkill for non-techies, and too expensive. Also doesn't have built-in wireless...

I'm looking at the Galaxy Traveler Quest or Anchor Go Getter 2 system, wondering if anyone has any opinions about those?

Any other manufacturers make something that has 2 wireless receivers built in? (The Sennheiser LSP500 system looks amazing, but at $2500 without wireless makes it a bit too expensive...)
The Anchor stuff is pretty bulletproof (and weatherproof) and simple to deploy, though the wireless quality leaves a bit to be desired. Given your specs that shouldn't be an issue, though. Worst case you can supplement with a dedicated wireless setup. They're pretty standard issue for most school systems with outdoor extracurriculars, hell, when I was in high school we had an anchor system we used in marching band. Got plenty loud to address a hundred or so kids stretched out across a football field, so I would assume they have enough oomph to work with your use case.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »

2 Speakers on stands2 Wireless hand held mics1 iPod/Phone input for music (BT would be a bonus)

I don’t think that anything I’ve ever seen can be operated without some degree of understanding, certainly not for what you are looking for.  Everything in this field needs some understanding of gain structure, and balancing.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »

Galaxy Audio is headquartered here in Wichita and I've seen the Traveler but not auditioned it.  Based on my experience with Galaxy products, I'd expect it to do what Galaxy claims, no less and no more.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

The Mipro MA708 is pretty decent.

I just had a client needing a battery operated 2 speaker system with 4 wireless mics. I tried the Galaxy TV10 first, but the noise floor of the wireless was awful so I returned it all. Then put together a setup with the MA708 that is probably 30%  more expensive but FAR better in function and apparent build quality. The handheld mics in particular are the standard issue Mipro ACT3 series with condensor capsules.

My recommendation would be to stick with no more than 2 or 3 wireless channels operating with one of these systems. We were able to get 4 handhelds working plus a wireless link between the two systems using an ACT3 bodypack, but it took some channel juggling to avoid interference. I think the fact these built-in receivers have no external antennas limits their performance.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »

I don’t think that anything I’ve ever seen can be operated without some degree of understanding, certainly not for what you are looking for.  Everything in this field needs some understanding of gain structure, and balancing.
That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. If the wireless mics are part of the system, they can be internally eq'd and gained appropriately and "just work".

Let's not go into a discussion about how small committees should be hiring technicians or whether not-for-profits need to have an A/V person on staff, just looking for opinions on the best system that's user-friendly, will last and sounds good.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »

Fender Passport system??
I've heard they are awful. Have you used that one?
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.