ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA  (Read 15456 times)

duane massey

Re: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2019, 01:54:33 AM »

360 degree coverage? Really? Couldn't find any actual graphs, but the specs are 120 v x 30 h.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 04:13:19 AM »

360 degree coverage? Really? Couldn't find any actual graphs, but the specs are 120 v x 30 h.

Sure, why not?

Speakers start getting directional when the radiating area approaches the wavelengths involved. Since the radiating area is very small compared to the wavelengths (like single subwoofers), I'd expect a column to have somewhere near 360 degree horizontal coverage for most of the frequency range.

120x30 might happen at one frequency if you apply a load of smoothing to the graphs...

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

duane massey

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2019, 03:52:01 AM »

Certainly not what JBL has to say:
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_CBT1000_SpecSheet_161025.pdf

... With 6" mid/bass drivers.

I thought we were talking about the EV Evolve 50, RCF Evox, that kind of thing.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

duane massey

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »

My experience with the Evox series was pretty much in line with the JBL as far as dispersion. Wider coverage horizontally, narrow coverage vertically. Certainly didn't notice any issues with the levels directly behind the speakers (which is where I was).
For me the coverage is the most important distinction between a conventional 2-way speaker on a stick and a "line array" (column speaker for us old guys). In a smaller room where the audience is spread across a 200 degree or more area, a single "stick" will potentially work better. Sadly, many of the "sticks" just don't sound that good, and lack the dynamic range. I DID like the performance of the Evox, but did NOT like the price tag.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

My experience with the Evox series was pretty much in line with the JBL as far as dispersion. Wider coverage horizontally, narrow coverage vertically. Certainly didn't notice any issues with the levels directly behind the speakers (which is where I was).
For me the coverage is the most important distinction between a conventional 2-way speaker on a stick and a "line array" (column speaker for us old guys). In a smaller room where the audience is spread across a 200 degree or more area, a single "stick" will potentially work better. Sadly, many of the "sticks" just don't sound that good, and lack the dynamic range. I DID like the performance of the Evox, but did NOT like the price tag.

As I have subs anyway I went with speakers that seem to bridge the gap between a Stick and a Standard woofer and horn system. Not in the price range the OP was looking for but well worth the extra money. Can be doubled for more spl.  I have no issues with sound behind them and cover good sized rooms in relation to speaker size/weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »

As I have subs anyway I went with speakers that seem to bridge the gap between a Stick and a Standard woofer and horn system. Not in the price range the OP was looking for but well worth the extra money. Can be doubled for more spl.  I have no issues with sound behind them and cover good sized rooms in relation to speaker size/weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0

Douglas R. Allen

duane massey

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »

I built my own pair (I build speaker cabinets), kind of a hybrid box. 140x15 degree waveguide w/ 1" throat, 2 8" drivers in an old-school column. Passive (all ready had a powered mixer), added a $199 Kustom powered sub. Certainly not a work of audio art BUT (1) works perfectly for us in the restaurant/patio gigs that we do (2) eliminated the need for monitors. In one steady gig we use only one cabinet + sub. Are they perfect? No. Are they better than the conventional 2-way boxes I was using? Absolutely. Customers and even management commented on how much better the sound was. Would they work for a full band playing dance music? Probably not, but we have used them in those situations, albeit with electronic drums and they were adequate.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »

I find the limiter light on the iq’s to ‘cry wolf’ and that you should pretty much ignore it.

but it doesn't get as loud as I would have expected before the light on the front starts flashing.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »

I find the limiter light on the iq’s to ‘cry wolf’ and that you should pretty much ignore it.

There are a lot of different limiters built into modern active speakers, including excursion limiting, which will happen over a fairly narrow frequency range and only on the peaks. Chances are you could push a few dB past that before noticing much/any degradation to the sound.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.