ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA  (Read 15477 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »

Well, back to the drawing board. My local guitar center had the jbl eon one, eon one pro and ev evolve 50 in stock, so I brought my keyboard in and had a little shootout.
I couldn't get any sound to come out of the eon one pro, but the guy I usually buy all my stuff from says he's sold 8 and had 7 returned. Not great.
The evolve 50 sounded alright - pretty warm with nice low end, soft on the high end. Didn't crank it up but the sound was nice.
The eon one... Was pretty disappointing. At similar volume to the evolve, the mods sounded muddy and the lows were boomy and undefined.
For kicks, I set up a kw10.2 in the same location and it blew the jbl out of the water. Compared to the evolve, much better clarity and high end, obviously lacking a little on the low.

So I'm back to looking at a single box and sub combo. The dsr112 seems very popular around these parts, but some folks say it's all high end. How will it sound for smaller gigs if I leave the sub at home, compared to something like a turbosound iq12?

The K10.2 vs Eon was not a fair fight IMO. A closer box from JBL would be the PRX. I'm with those suggesting a single or pair of powered 2-way boxes with a 15" bass driver. I think you should test drive a DXR15. You might get a deal on the older units, but I'd want to give the new mkII a try before deciding. You could then perform with a single box behind you, unless wider coverage is needed in which you could use 2.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »

I really don't like soundstick PAs, too many of them doesn't sound good in my ears.
I'd rather use 5 minutes more during setup to find someone that can help me do a bit of lifting. Attached is a picture from a small cafe gig I a couple of weeks ago, about 75 people in the audience and headroom to spare.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »

Also agree with those steering you away from the EON sticks, I use them often for very small political breakout rooms/press events. They are fine for background music, but you will want something more.

As you are considering getting one  stick, why not just get one speaker? Take a listen to an SRX812P, some Guitars Centers sell them. You could buy an Undercover NYC bag, the speaker, and stand for your budget. They sound much better than the EON sticks, and you will get lot more milage out of them.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Tyler James

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »

I really don't like soundstick PAs, too many of them doesn't sound good in my ears.
I'd rather use 5 minutes more during setup to find someone that can help me do a bit of lifting. Attached is a picture from a small cafe gig I a couple of weeks ago, about 75 people in the audience and headroom to spare.

LOL you gotta be shitting me. If I brought tat monstrosity to any of my gigs I'd never be allowed back
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:01:14 PM by Tyler James »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »

The EVOX J8 (poly box) wouldn't stretch your budget at all. The Evox JMIX8 has an integrated digital mixer that is OK.

I've been using the JBL EON One Pro and have been pleased with the convenience. It's not a powerhouse, but I can do a wedding ceremony or cocktail hour with one, no problem up to 250 people. I've ended up using it for everything, largely due to convenience. Sounds fine and can be carried in one hand. You do give up some sound to be battery powered, though. It's been a great rental speaker and fun at parties because of the easy setup.

A single RCF EVOX 8, J8 or JMIX 8 would probably be your best bet. The EV EVOLVE 50 is also very good. Priced out around where the wood EVOX 8 does. Has a 2 channel mixer on the back.

For most of those shows, I would rather set up a single sub/top combo and forego a pair. Should effectively double your budget.

A single rcf evox8 is not stretching your budget too much for the stick format.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 05:45:53 AM »

What was the level like at the back of 250 people?

I had a listen to the EV and Bose sticks, and didn't like either. The EV, particularly, had something weird going on at the top end (sounded like some hi-Q peaks moving around as you walked). Both were lacking guts in the lower-mids and if you EQ'd the lower-mids back in, you'll run out of headroom even quicker.

IMO, if you absolutely have to have the narrow form-factor (above all other criteria), these columns are the answer. However, for a few more inches of width you can put an 8-10" speaker over a 12-15" sub and have something that will sound much better and give much more output.

IME, "fun at parties" starts at a pair of 15"s. I also have a 21" sub that's popular for those rentals.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »

A single EON one pro was loud enough that the pretty girls in the back were shaking a tail feather to Peg (steely dan) when I walked out to check the level. Oh, and it added another line item onto the gig for a 5% bump in revenue for almost no extra labor.

Mission Accomplished!!!

I just did another 250 person wedding ceremony this weekend and used my Lectro Duet to feed the EON one pro's audio. Had 4 different musical performances during the ceremony and two of the artists asked if I could sell them one.

My other go to for this sort of thing is RCF TT052a's on the flat based K&M stands. They sound better but aren't nearly as convenient and I have to run cables all over the place and conceal them. I've been meaning to snag a pair of RCF TTS whatever 12" subs to go with these, which will be a killer solution for lots of things. . .but for the price of those subs I could buy a pair of EVOX8 that would give me another full system to make money with.

What was the level like at the back of 250 people?

I had a listen to the EV and Bose sticks, and didn't like either. The EV, particularly, had something weird going on at the top end (sounded like some hi-Q peaks moving around as you walked). Both were lacking guts in the lower-mids and if you EQ'd the lower-mids back in, you'll run out of headroom even quicker.

IMO, if you absolutely have to have the narrow form-factor (above all other criteria), these columns are the answer. However, for a few more inches of width you can put an 8-10" speaker over a 12-15" sub and have something that will sound much better and give much more output.

IME, "fun at parties" starts at a pair of 15"s. I also have a 21" sub that's popular for those rentals.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:14:02 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 03:37:01 AM »

A single EON one pro was loud enough that the pretty girls in the back were shaking a tail feather to Peg (steely dan) when I walked out to check the level.

Ah yes, I'm sure the pretty girls only dance when the sound is exceptional.

It feels like you're really trying to sell these column speakers.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »

LOL you gotta be shitting me. If I brought tat monstrosity to any of my gigs I'd never be allowed back

What Helge didn't tell you was that he didn't take the amp rack - that lot would've been loud enough driven from the headphone out of the desk I'm sure ;-)

(Impedance considerations and crossover requirements notwithstanding of course!)

Tyler James

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »

Well, I scored a decent deal on a b-stock iq10. I'll be keeping my eye out for a deal on an iq15b to put under it. I like the convenience of daisy chaining powercon, and I have an xr18 so audio over ether net seems cool.

Any tips on building a siamese ethernet/powercon cable?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.