ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA  (Read 15458 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »

They make specialized ones for underwater instrumentation, but they have waterproof multi-pins on them. I also can't find a combination CAT/Powercon or IEC combo. I guess buy CAT w/ends and bare power cable in the length you need, put some heat shrink over the pair in several places to bind them together, and put the ends on the power cable.
My bad... I didn’t notice you wanted category cable and power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tyler James

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »

If they're at a similar price point why is it not a fair fight? Many people purchase based on a specific budget, with certain performance criteria in mind. My experience is that these MI grade column systems are way over-priced for what you get in sound quality and output. But yet they seem to sell like hotcakes. I think if more consumers did a somewhat objective comparison to a comparably priced two way like the OP did we see a lot fewer of these systems out in the wild (a good thing, IMO).

Yep - I was really hoping for a similar sound quality from the stick, and the form factor really can't be beat on those JBL EON One products. But I ended up with an IQ10 and though I've only used it for a couple rehearsals so far, it's been getting the job done. Looking forward to the first gig and I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap iq15b to pop up.

Tyler James

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »

A few more rehearsals with the iq10 and a show coming up this weekend where I'll be using it as a monitor for myself (keys and vocals). So far the sound quality is pretty good, but it doesn't get as loud as I would have expected before the light on the front starts flashing. I'm wondering if I would have been better served with the k10.2 or dxr10 after all - not sure how I missed it, but the iq10 is only rated for 124db vs 130db for the k10.2 or 131db for the dxr10.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »

I wouldn't bother with the "Peak SPL" ratings. They're not based on any sensible use case, so I consider them to be the SPL on impact after dropping them from a plane.

Here's something I wrote after fighting a losing battle with the sales guys from some pretty big companies at a trade show: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/spec-wars-looking-inside-loudspeaker-spl-specifications/

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jay Marr

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »

A few more rehearsals with the iq10 and a show coming up this weekend where I'll be using it as a monitor for myself (keys and vocals). So far the sound quality is pretty good, but it doesn't get as loud as I would have expected before the light on the front starts flashing. I'm wondering if I would have been better served with the k10.2 or dxr10 after all - not sure how I missed it, but the iq10 is only rated for 124db vs 130db for the k10.2 or 131db for the dxr10.

I borrowed a pair of IQ10s once (and owned the IQ12s at one point). 
Those 10s will get plenty loud and maintain decent sound.  I think you'll be happy.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »

I wouldn't bother with the "Peak SPL" ratings. They're not based on any sensible use case, so I consider them to be the SPL on impact after dropping them from a plane.

Here's something I wrote after fighting a losing battle with the sales guys from some pretty big companies at a trade show: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/spec-wars-looking-inside-loudspeaker-spl-specifications/

Chris

Great article! Sadly it has long been the case in the audio world that we must rely on reputation, word of mouth, and subjective tests in far from ideal situations. At least the gear weight and dimensions are reliable (...wait....come  to think of it I've never checked them  ???)

duane massey

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »

Not a single post discussed actual coverage angles here.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »

Not a single post discussed actual coverage angles here.
So start the discussion.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »

For a column of 2-3" wide-range speakers, horizontally it'll be somewhere around 360 degree coverage up to 2kHz-ish, and then tapering to a laserbeam at 20kHz.

Vertically, you'll probably get the mess you expect. IIRC, RCF published this data for their Evox range.

I do find it interesting that they seem more resistant to feedback than a conventional point source.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.