ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA  (Read 15480 times)

Steve Crump

Re: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »

A lot of duo and trios use the Bose "sticks" in our area. Not long ago I was by the local marina and a duo was using one L1 with keys, vocals, backing tracks and bass guitar, playing to a small crowd maybe 70-80 people "peppered" across a large wooded area, they had plenty of output. Sound wasn't great, but I really don't think that was the Bose...lol. (I wasn't there for the show, I was there visiting my buddy who operates the marina cantina.)

The same friend that operates the cantina has a seven pc cover band that uses (2) of the Bose stick systems for everything including outdoor shows. He loves them and has used them for years. Of course, with the bass modules I think he paid around $2,500.00 a unit when he purchased them.

I have a pair of the wooden box Evox 8s and use them a good bit when I don't want to drag a trailer. So far anything from a *Blues/Rock band at a small wedding (outdoors) 100 in attendance?, *3 pc Blues/Rock band at a 4000 sq ft brewery (indoors) 125-130 in attandance, *Duo at a country club ballroom, 200 capacity, about 70 showed. *DJ music at a couple weddings, (I was not the DJ, just supplied the gear), *4pc country band at a 150 seat theatre, etc...I would be unconformable to try and cover a large area that potentially could have 300-400 listeners, but they work great for a lot of smaller shows.

I like it because it packs tight in the mini-van and allows for a lot of other gear and still room for passengers. I do get a lot of positive comments on sound quality when I use them.

Now for part two, If I had it to do over again I might would have opted for a couple of monitor/mains like the RCF HD32 and two of the less expensive subs like the 705 for my small system. It would have given me more flexibility to mix and match and to use each pc separately for other jobs on stage.... 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:34:36 AM by Steve Crump »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 01:29:19 PM »

LOL you gotta be shitting me. If I brought tat monstrosity to any of my gigs I'd never be allowed back

What Helge didn't tell you was that he didn't take the amp rack - that lot would've been loud enough driven from the headphone out of the desk I'm sure ;-)

(Impedance considerations and crossover requirements notwithstanding of course!)

I brought a small 8 channel headphone amp made in Italy. I believe it's called X8 :P

On a serious note, that amp is great for small gigs.  5 active monitor mixes, PA, backline + FOH on a single 16A/230V circuit.
Don't miss the "good old days" of Crown MA and equivalent amps...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »

I brought a small 8 channel headphone amp made in Italy. I believe it's called X8 :P

You must have some serious headphones...

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »

So I'm back to looking at a single box and sub combo. The dsr112 seems very popular around these parts, but some folks say it's all high end. How will it sound for smaller gigs if I leave the sub at home, compared to something like a turbosound iq12?

The DSR112 will blow away the iq12 all day long. I think some people feel like the DSR112 is "top-end strong" because the horn is ridiculously capable. The 112 will go down to about 60Hz (usable), but nothing really below there. Good enough for some guitar body thump, but definitely won't handle much of anything lower than that.

With a little bit of EQ (I notch -3db at 8k and -1.5db at around 5k), they will sound nice and natural. You'll never have to worry about not having enough rig for the gig with a DSR112.

As others have mentioned, you could probably get away with the DXR15 as well - a bit more lowend capability and lighter weight.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »

Well, I scored a decent deal on a b-stock iq10. I'll be keeping my eye out for a deal on an iq15b to put under it. I like the convenience of daisy chaining powercon, and I have an xr18 so audio over ether net seems cool.

Any tips on building a siamese ethernet/powercon cable?

Lots of companies make Siamese cables with IEC at the speaker end. I did that for my ZXa5s and just cut off the IEC and installed a Powercon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:28 AM »

Lots of companies make Siamese cables with IEC at the speaker end. I did that for my ZXa5s and just cut off the IEC and installed a Powercon.

I don't think I've ever seen an Ethernet and line-power siamese cable before. Do you have any links (my Google-Fu also seems to be failing me)?

-Russ

Rick Powell

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 02:19:03 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen an Ethernet and line-power siamese cable before. Do you have any links (my Google-Fu also seems to be failing me)?

-Russ

They make specialized ones for underwater instrumentation, but they have waterproof multi-pins on them. I also can't find a combination CAT/Powercon or IEC combo. I guess buy CAT w/ends and bare power cable in the length you need, put some heat shrink over the pair in several places to bind them together, and put the ends on the power cable.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 05:51:09 AM »

-Russ

Something like these?

https://linkitaly.com/product/multisignal-cat6a-3-30-mm%C2%B2-power-cable/
https://linkitaly.com/product/multisignal-cat6a-1-50-mm%C2%B2-power-cable/

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »

The K10.2 vs Eon was not a fair fight IMO. A closer box from JBL would be the PRX.

If they're at a similar price point why is it not a fair fight? Many people purchase based on a specific budget, with certain performance criteria in mind. My experience is that these MI grade column systems are way over-priced for what you get in sound quality and output. But yet they seem to sell like hotcakes. I think if more consumers did a somewhat objective comparison to a comparably priced two way like the OP did we see a lot fewer of these systems out in the wild (a good thing, IMO).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »

If they're at a similar price point why is it not a fair fight? Many people purchase based on a specific budget, with certain performance criteria in mind. My experience is that these MI grade column systems are way over-priced for what you get in sound quality and output. But yet they seem to sell like hotcakes. I think if more consumers did a somewhat objective comparison to a comparably priced two way like the OP did we see a lot fewer of these systems out in the wild (a good thing, IMO).

For those that don't remember the column loudspeakers from 1962, these can get called "line" arrays.  Harumph.

It's a form-factor thing, I think.  Like kittens and puppies rather than the gnarly cat and shaggy dog.  Notice that no commercial installation (where audio is important, but not the focus) do you find these in any significant quantities.... i.e. why aren't they used by the hockey team at the arena?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.