ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA  (Read 15201 times)

Tyler James

Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« on: May 09, 2019, 01:14:04 PM »

Hey all

Second post, already asking for help. Typical. Anyways, a friend of mine and I have started putting together a duo act and I am trying to find a solution for small to medium venues/small outdoor gigs (think 1-200 people; farmers markets, wedding receptions, wine bar, etc). I play keys or guitar and sing, she sings. Our materials varies in energy, but we can only do so much without percussion - think Civil Wars. I would like to find something that sounds awesome, is portable, and under ~$1200. I already have Yamaha MG10XU or XR-18 (left over from the last 6 piece band I played in) mixer, and I also have an old Behringer powered wedge we can use for monitoring, though with the two of us we honestly could probably get by with monitoring through the mains. I have an E935, she an E835.

This is the source of my question. If we want to spend ~$1200 on our main system, are we better served with a couple traditional tops or one of these new "line array" sticks? In the traditional corner, leading candidates seem to be QSC K8.2, K10.2, Yamaha DXR10, Turbosound iq10. On the stick end: JBL Eon One, Turbosound IP2000, a single Bose l1 compact. I've demoed some of these sticks with guitar and vocals and they sound awesome, but how well do they work when running a piano through them?

Cheers
Tyler

Miguel Dahl

Re: Learn me: Sound stick vs traditional PA
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »

Hey all

Second post, already asking for help. Typical. Anyways, a friend of mine and I have started putting together a duo act and I am trying to find a solution for small to medium venues/small outdoor gigs (think 1-200 people; farmers markets, wedding receptions, wine bar, etc). I play keys or guitar and sing, she sings. Our materials varies in energy, but we can only do so much without percussion - think Civil Wars. I would like to find something that sounds awesome, is portable, and under ~$1200. I already have Yamaha MG10XU or XR-18 (left over from the last 6 piece band I played in) mixer, and I also have an old Behringer powered wedge we can use for monitoring, though with the two of us we honestly could probably get by with monitoring through the mains. I have an E935, she an E835.

This is the source of my question. If we want to spend ~$1200 on our main system, are we better served with a couple traditional tops or one of these new "line array" sticks? In the traditional corner, leading candidates seem to be QSC K8.2, K10.2, Yamaha DXR10, Turbosound iq10. On the stick end: JBL Eon One, Turbosound IP2000, a single Bose l1 compact. I've demoed some of these sticks with guitar and vocals and they sound awesome, but how well do they work when running a piano through them?

Cheers
Tyler

Also look into RCF TT22.  I think they sound great, they sound very full. We have 8 of the mk1 boxes and I love them. But you need to treat them "properly". At least the Mk1. There's some buttons on the ones we have which will give up, and you have to play with them to get the box to sound properly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:15:31 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Tyler James

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »

Also look into RCF TT22.  I think they sound great, they sound very full. We have 8 of the mk1 boxes and I love them.

If you can get me a pair of those for $1200... sure, lol.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »

Damn, I'm so sorry. I confused my local $ with what you said, and thought you had a really big budget, which also confused me a bit.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

For most of those shows, I would rather set up a single sub/top combo and forego a pair. Should effectively double your budget.

A single rcf evox8 is not stretching your budget too much for the stick format.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:41:21 PM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

Also have her try your 935.
I think it's a nicer sounding mic.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »

With current closeout pricing you can get a pair of DXR15s and have change left over.

I like the EVOX 8 and other small column systems, but one will not cut it for an audience of 200.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tyler James

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

The more I read and ponder, the more I lean towards the Eon One Pro. Battery powered for the occasional wedding/outdoor cocktail set, enough inputs for both of us without needing to bring another mixer, and the sections transport in the woofer enclosure. 200 people may have been optimistic, but certainly if it were that many they would be seated and sipping wine.

Thought experiment: the Eon One Pro can be had for $800. How would this compare to:
* A single Turbosound iq12 on a stick ($750)? I'm sure the iq12 can get louder, but sound quality? Again, mostly playing piano with two voices, lots of harmony and some reverb. We're not looking to melt faces here.
* A Turbosound iq10 ($550) on top of a ip12B sub ($450)?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:49:52 PM by Tyler James »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:33:48 PM »

Thought experiment: the Eon One Pro can be had for $800. How would this compare to:
* A single Turbosound iq12 on a stick ($750)? I'm sure the iq12 can get louder, but sound quality? Again, mostly playing piano with two voices, lots of harmony and some reverb. We're not looking to melt faces here.
* A Turbosound iq10 ($550) on top of a ip12B sub ($450)?

I have a JBL Eon One and while it's incredibly convenient to have usable PA pack into one unit the size of a suitcase, I prefer the sound of a good conventional 2-way box. I'm not sure the Turbosound IQ qualifies as a "good" 2-way but someone else will have to voice an opinion on that since I haven't heard it. When using the Eon One, I prefer to have an external mixer providing more than just bass and treble controls. I acquired the Eon One to have something to send out with unskilled people for a basic wedding or presentation event.

That said, I think a column speaker PA is a good fit for your use case. Some of them sound pretty good and having the built-in sub may give you a bit "warmer" sound than a 12" 2-way on a stick. Convenience and quick set up time is worth something.
This video compares a few column systems and the EV Evolve 50 comes out, in my opinion, above the others but the measurements may not tell the whole story. I can't say how the JBL would compare. I haven't heard both.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:36:15 PM by Corey Scogin »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:01 AM »

Those column systems run out of steam real quick. While they do sound pretty good, I feel like they would get overpowered pretty easily given the venues you listed (particularly ones outdoors). A similarly priced pair of SOS would be more versatile and get you much better coverage over a single column setup.

If you're willing to look into the used market, you could go a bit over budget ($1500ish) and get a pair of JBL SRX812/815 or even crack into the Yamaha DSR line. I'm sure there are other very stout options in that price range from other manufacturers as well.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.