ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Sound Company Insurance  (Read 2982 times)

Dustin Campbell

Small Sound Company Insurance
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:25 PM »

Hey All,
I tried searching the forum for info on sound company liability insurance and only saw a couple of posts- maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I need some general liability I think. I normally just do bars and small stuff but our city has noticed me and wanted me to do some sound for them and I got them a reasonable quote and then they asked for insurance and they want me to add them as an additional insured - I am a just srx800 series type of gear and a Qu-16 operator and have volunteered my services on occasion.  Any ideas?
Banning CA,

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Small Sound Company Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

For one off and short term stuff, you can use a company called Event Helper. They issue policies that are short term and you can add additional insureds as well. You can generally write up a policy within a day. It is nice to have a full policy that you can generate and file within an hour or two. The issue is that for what you get they are expensive. Typically $160 + per day or event. I have a policy that is REALLY cheap in the grand scale of things, but my business model is a bit different too. It is best to try and find a local company that offers general liability policies. The cost is dependant upon several factors. The one big thing is what the gross income of the company is. If you only draw in $50k a year it will probably be cheaper than you think it could be. If you draw in $500k + a year I would bet that you pay roughly $5k a year in insurance. It seems to me that most seem to set right around 10% of gross business income. I.E. $100k a year in gross receipts will be roughly $1k + a year in insurance costs.

As with most things insurance related, past and history will get lower rates. Basically, you pay more your first year than you will your second and consecutive years once you have built a history. I got a quote for $25 a month about a month ago....... Yeah, that's a bit too good to be true. I pay quite a bit more than that, but I also have two guys I can call in which we all know each other by name. The company that sent me the quote was called Next Insurance and they do have policies for sound industry applications! I just don't trust in the lowest bidder for something that is such a serious thing. If you want a full real policy check out Next Insurance and see what they can do for you. My fear is that they are cheap for a reason.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »

Dustin,

Have you called your insurance agent  and asked them to direct you where to go?  My insurance guy gave me a ton of info and followed up and all kinds of stuff.

Scott

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »

I use NAME, the owner will shop around every year for the best deal. Paying less now than I was 3-4 years ago.  $2 million liability for less than $900 a year.

And you should already have insurance, no matter how small the gigs you're doing. Liability and also insurance on your gear.  If it gets stolen or damaged your homeowners is not going to cover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »

We use Metro-Atlanta Insurance Agency, Inc. for basic liability and equipment coverage, if you like I can PM our agent's info.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »

I went through a local insurance agent, who issued me a policy that was underwritten by Acuity and included $2-million of liability and covered just over $200k worth of equipment on an inland marine policy. I think I paid around $100/month for the policy.

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »

Hey All,
I tried searching the forum for info on sound company liability insurance and only saw a couple of posts- maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I need some general liability I think. I normally just do bars and small stuff but our city has noticed me and wanted me to do some sound for them and I got them a reasonable quote and then they asked for insurance and they want me to add them as an additional insured - I am a just srx800 series type of gear and a Qu-16 operator and have volunteered my services on occasion.  Any ideas?

I do exactly the same as you. I purchase liability only from NAME. It runs me about $550/year. Call Joel at 215 658-1193.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »

Good stuff everybody- I really appreciate the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banning CA,

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 04:44:04 PM »

Recycling this!

My GL policy doubled in cost to approx 1K this year.   I used to have an agent that kinda understood us.  She moved on to a higher profile gig and the new person, I think isn't the sharpest tool in the shed...

Who is doing better ?

Thanks, Mal
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:59:20 PM »

Hi Mal,

Check out:
 https://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:59:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.