Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

dbx Drive rack 360 Venue

(1/5) > >>

Jonathan Barrett:
Hey all,

I'm super curious to know if this little drive rack could do a decent job at tuning a PA? What kind of results do you think you could get from a product that advertises 'wizard' to measure a room response and auto correct it? I know this question sounds ridiculous being posted in a professional sound measurement forum but I'm curious to know if this is a gimmick or maybe has some value as a quick tool to measure and correct room/PA responses?

For those who may not know about the DBX venue360, the unit has a RTA mic input and asks you to place that mic in various places around the speaker system. A sine wave sweep is played from the unit and measured. The resulting measurements are averaged and inverted through auto EQ correction. You're then able to tweak the settings a bit and even pull from a library of speaker/amp manufacturers.

Are SMAART guys/gals out of a job or are they safe? J/K :P    I AM NOT WITH DBX

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: nbtech2001 on May 07, 2019, 09:59:08 PM ---Hey all,

I'm super curious

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Roland Clarke:
I think we are all safe.  Half the problem with the taking of measurements is making sure the ones we take are useful and knowing what to do with the measurements.

Jonathan Barrett:

--- Quote from: Roland Clarke on May 09, 2019, 11:54:11 AM ---I think we are all safe.  Half the problem with the taking of measurements is making sure the ones we take are useful and knowing what to do with the measurements.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't think the unit would be able to differentiate a comb filter from any other dip and adjust accordingly. Maybe there's little use in the DBX but I'm not sure about PA Tuning.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Barrett on May 09, 2019, 06:37:50 PM ---Yeah, I don't think the unit would be able to differentiate a comb filter from any other dip and adjust accordingly. Maybe there's little use in the DBX but I'm not sure about PA Tuning.

--- End quote ---

I'm told the Otto Eque function is better than it used to be (I'd hope so).  It's still time-blind but apparently does the averaging better (secret sauce).

There are ways to make use of this tool if one is aware of its limitations and accordingly makes *valid* measurements, but it is not a replacement for a dual channel FFT analyzer and knowledgeable operator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version