ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I pose a sad question...  (Read 6074 times)

Al Rubio, Jr

I pose a sad question...
« on: May 07, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »

...arising from the advance of digital tech:

Having tried to sell along an old analog 24x4 XLR snake/stage box with no luck (locally) for the past several months, the thought occurred to me; would it actually be a better move to just sell the thing for the "scrap copper" within, than to hope to sell it?
With the almost universal adoption of digital mixers and their associated apps and CAT5 based stage boxes, it seems like it might be the only way to get something out of it.
What say you folks?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: I pose a sad question...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »

How long is it?
I like to keep plenty of analog stage snakes around. I find them quite useful for multiple stage area drops.
If it's too long, maybe cut it down to a useful length and re-terminate both new ends?

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 06:33:42 PM »

...it seems like it might be the only way to get something out of it.

If it still is functional, and I can't sell it or even give it away, it goes to:

Goodwill Industries International Inc.

Someone just got a great deal on a Crown D60 that I donated.

It always feels good.

-Dennis

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »

Until you learn that the CEO for Goodwill drew in $2.3 million in salary!!!!! All for selling the stuff that you gave them for free. Meanwhile, the pee-on's at the actual Goodwill stores are making chump change.  Anyway, I digress :)

If you can't sell it for what you think it's worth, I would turn it into something that is useful to you. I just turned one of my long snakes into a couple of drop snakes for the stage. You can turn it into a drive snake, or make several fans or drop snakes that really make it worth having it around. Drop snakes are still worth something as most all companies still rely on them to get from the stage box to a desired place on the stage.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »

...arising from the advance of digital tech:

Having tried to sell along an old analog 24x4 XLR snake/stage box with no luck (locally) for the past several months
Al, I had/have the same problem.  I have a brand new Horizon 150' 24 x 4 snake from 4 years ago that has only been used on one show for a sub snake.  I can't get anyone to give me $150 for it so it sits in my shop collecting dust.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

Maybe it is because I live out in the middle nowhere, but I'm still renting out analog main snakes, stage snakes, and an isolated analog splitter and snakes. YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »

Jacketed copper isn't worth much at all... I recently inherited a 125-foot 4/4 SOOW cable that had failing insulation on the individual conductors, so I turned it in for scrap. I got a total of $12.35 for the cable, and their automated pay-out system rounds down to the nearest dollar, and charges a $2 service fee. So... $10

If I were you, I'd price the snake at the lowest price you'd be willing to take and sell it for whatever someone will give you for it.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »

I have GL2400 w/external power supply and 2 x LED lamps I can't sell.  Though, there's a couple of bars around the area that are in need of an upgrade to their analog boards.  I may stop by and see if they are interested in a good deal, or I'll just keep it as another backup console.

I still use a Soundcraft 8 bus analog with outboard for multi-band events.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 11:57:18 PM »

If it's in good shape it should sell on eBay OK. Last year I sold a 100' EWI 16x8 snake for $250 on ebay. It was on there for a few weeks before someone hit my "buy it now" price. The price included shipping but I still made around $200 after shipping and fees. The best part is, I bought the snake used in 2006 for $250. Not bad for an 12 year rental. To be fair though, it hadn't seen much use for 8-9 years and was in really good condition.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:42:40 AM »

Until you learn that the CEO for Goodwill drew in $2.3 million in salary!!!!! All for selling the stuff that you gave them for free. Meanwhile, the pee-on's at the actual Goodwill stores are making chump change.  Anyway, I digress :)

I’m surprised you fell for this Internet lie Luke.  You should do a little research, get educated, and then probably edit it out of your post.  Remember kids, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:42:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.