ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethercon to Ethernet Adapter?  (Read 12096 times)

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
Ethercon to Ethernet Adapter?
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »

Hi.

I'm wanting to purchase a flexible, CAT6 cable with Ethercon connectors (usually those cables are the most protected) for when I'm on a job site and need to lay a cable for a camera connection or whatever.

So my equipment doesn't use Ethercon connectors and I'm looking to find an adapter to convert the ends to standard RJ45's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
Re: Ethercon to Ethernet Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »

I think I've found the answer.  This item:  Neutrik NE8FF Ethercon Connector Coupler

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:50:19 AM »

Unless there are molded models of the ethercons that I don't know about wouldn't it be easier to just remove the ethercon connector? Also I seem to remember that the CAT5e and CAT6 ethercons are not compatible with each other or something weird like that. Keep that in mind.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Samuel Sjöbergsson

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »

Unless there are molded models of the ethercons that I don't know about wouldn't it be easier to just remove the ethercon connector? Also I seem to remember that the CAT5e and CAT6 ethercons are not compatible with each other or something weird like that. Keep that in mind.
Yeah don't get cat6 Ethercon cause it's not compatible with cat5 or cat 6A, 6E or 7 but all other Ethercon is compatible with eachother.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »

Depends on the flavor of ethercon end. Some brands are not user serviceable and are effectively molded together like you say (And in many cases without any shield bonding despite being listed as cat6!). Also, many ethercon connectors require you to snap the locking tab off the RJ45 end, so simply removing the ethercon shell would result in a very unreliable connection at one end. Neutrik also notes that some of their connectors are not compatible with cat6 panel connectors, so I'm not sure if it's some physical aspect of the connectors themselves or the difference in cat5/6 protocols and other ethernet standards (PoE, etc).
It's also worth nothing that a lot of the d-series panel connectors have standard RJ45 outlets on the back side, so if your non-ethercon equipment usually lives in or near a rackable space you could just mount one to a punchout plate and run a standard ethernet cable from there.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »

Then I'm on a job site and need to lay a cable for a camera connection or whatever.

So my equipment doesn't use Ethercon connectors and I'm looking to find an adapter to convert the ends to standard RJ45's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Buy your ethercon from GLS.  the connector easily changes to regular rj45 and back

GLS-Audio-G-Shell
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »

Buy your ethercon from GLS.  the connector easily changes to regular rj45 and back

GLS-Audio-G-Shell

That's slick.  Now just need to find a way to lanyard that shell to the cable so i don't lose one on Every Single Show....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »

GLS-Audio-G-Shell

Just FYI the cables I’ve seen with these connectors, the shield on the Ethernet cable is not grounded to the shell.  Can be a problem for certain Midas and Behringer products. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »

That's slick.  Now just need to find a way to lanyard that shell to the cable so i don't lose one on Every Single Show....

Or to get Neutrik to make an EtherCon version of the Neutrik NC3FM-C-B ConvertCon, so the shell just slides back out of the way as needed.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 04:23:53 AM »

I think I've found the answer.  This item:  Neutrik NE8FF Ethercon Connector Coupler

Yeah, as you've said by far the simplest way is just to use the ethercon joiner barrel, and on the outgoing side use a small 1m or 2m normal ethernet cable. We do this all the time and works fine.

k

John Penkala

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »

These are not exactly the same, but you won't loose the cap!
https://tmb.com/proshell/

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »

Yeah, as you've said by far the simplest way is just to use the ethercon joiner barrel, and on the outgoing side use a small 1m or 2m normal ethernet cable. We do this all the time and works fine.

k
Far better than taking things apart.  Every time we take one apart at work some one loses the ends or the tab gets broken off when the hands pull the cable before it's properly packaged.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:46 AM »

James Cotton

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »

Yeah don't get cat6 Ethercon cause it's not compatible with cat5 or cat 6A, 6E or 7 but all other Ethercon is compatible with eachother.

Used to be true but now Neutrik have changed things so the age old "it depends" is the answer to that.
Newer CAT6 Ethercons are compatible with the older CAT5 ones and not compatible with the first generation CAT6.

As far as pass throughs go, the CAT5 ones are not very robust with an exposed PCB on the back that will break off if you look at it funny.
The newer CAT6 variety however is all metal and virtually bomb-proof, so much so that I carry a bunch of them them loose for just the purpose the OP requires.

This is the one you want, not cheap but does the job perfectly.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/ne8fdx-p6

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »

[...] Newer CAT6 Ethercons are compatible with the older CAT5 ones and not compatible with the first generation CAT6. [...]

That's not quite right: all Neutrik CAT6 EtherCONs are incompatible with CAT5e EtherCONs; however, their CAT6A EtherCONs are compatible with CAT5e EtherCONs.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.