ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X series preamp gain optimal range  (Read 9548 times)

Tyler James

Re: Behringer X series preamp gain optimal range
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:28 PM »

Both my XR-18 and my X32 I run around 25 for most vocalist and around 22 for a person with a set of pipes. Same for most everything else when micing a full band around 25 ish. Loud snare comes down to 21-22, hot active bass I have had as low as 16, ratty old P-bass as much as 30, but rarely.

My experience with our XR-18 is similar. 26-28 for most vocalists and I've used Sennheiser 835, 935, SM58 mics with it. Instruments vary wildly depending on the level of pre-amplification.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »

First off I'm not aware of an sm86 beta.
I have and using sm86 my favorite male vocal mic.
You have checked at the phantom power is on if it is indeed an sm86, right?

Never had a problem with distortion.
 I think if you don't know quite enough to go deep into your mixer you might do better to just reset to factory defaults and start from there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:45:54 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »

Check your DCAs , see if that channel is assigned to a sub group, see if an effect is inserted on that channel or group that is altering volume. Also check the dynamics, gate and eq settings on the channel to be sure you're not losing gain anywhere in the channel strip.

SOP on the X32 set gains so you are just tickling the first yellow light, -18.

Sami Torvinen

• Torvinen Showtekniikka
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »

On most digital mixers I try to hit -18 to -12 on the channel meter. IMHO that is the way most digital boards should be operated. With X32/M32 and dynamic vocal mic (SM58/e935 etc.) my mic channel gain is usually 22 to 25 dB. With really quiet singers 25 to 30 dB. With XR18/MR18 the desks preamps and the whole thing is completely different, you need to add about 5 dB or more gain to achieve the same result. Gain is only gain, who cares what the number says on the screen. Don't overthink it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »

On most digital mixers I try to hit -18 to -12 on the channel meter. IMHO that is the way most digital boards should be operated.

Not unreasonable. The maximum output of the X32 is spec'd to be +21dBu. On pro level analog consoles of yore 0Vu was usually +4dBu. That means -17 on the X32 meters is about the same as 0Vu on a PM4000 or Midas XL4. On those analog consoles you usually only had a few dB of meter left above "0" so unless you just pegged the meters against the stop you weren't going much above +8dBu, which would be about -12dBfs on an X32.

Mac

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »

SOP on the X32 set gains so you are just tickling the first yellow light, -18.

Thanks I will use this guideline for X32.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »

First off I'm not aware of an sm86 beta.
I have and using sm86 my favorite male vocal mic.
You have checked at the phantom power is on if it is indeed an sm86, right?

Never had a problem with distortion.
 I think if you don't know quite enough to go deep into your mixer you might do better to just reset to factory defaults and start from there.

Sorry, it is not Beta. It does not have a blue ring. It should be a SM86. Phantom power is on.

It is not my mixer.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »

Sorry, it is not Beta. It does not have a blue ring. It should be a SM86. Phantom power is on.

It is not my mixer.

I love the SM86 mic over any of the other lower cost options (SM58, B58, E8xx, OMx, etc).  If it sounds harsh it's likely either something else in the signal chain or a damaged mic. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 04:56:30 AM »

I would check out what Lyle said above.  Whilst knowing the io of the Behringer isn’t the best I’ve generally not had the same experience you’ve been experiencing.  I would, as a big generalisation, suggest if you are using gains much over 32-35db, perhaps the problem is elsewhere.  Usually using a 58 on a vocal you are looking at head amp gains in the 27-32 dB range at most.  I would most definitely change a lead and check the mic first and the multicore if you are using one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 04:56:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.