ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD HD mode: What are the trade offs?  (Read 812 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Shure ULXD HD mode: What are the trade offs?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »

There are a bunch of small breakout rooms. Each of which had up to 6 RF mics. There were 20 channels of Axient Digital in the general session. And, about 20 channels on the exhibition hall floor. PSM900 and PSM1000 IEM transmitters in PTP mode were used to feed remote speakers. There were also camera teams with Sennheiser G3 systems. Com was FreespeakII.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense. Thanks for the insight - some more questions, if you donít mind:

Did you have backup freqs. for each device, or just a generic list to cutover to if something was funky?

Were you able to monitor all systems from a central location, or did you have a few networks you hooked up to in those areas? (Specifically thinking all the breakouts vs the GS and exhibit floor)

When I get accurate preliminary information to base the coordination on, these shows go off without a hitch and are generally problem free. However, there are always going to be additional units deployed and guest media/news organizations who will need frequencies. The real problems occur when transmitters are used onsite that weren't advanced. The more accurate information you get in advance, the better.
Definitely. One can only be certain if thereís s known quantity - at least as certain as one can be with anything wireless, haha.

Iíve done similar setups and would have like to try out HD Mode with higher channel counts like you were asking about, but only had UHF-R packs to work with.

Did you deploy any ULXD goosenecks, or just lavs & handhelds? I havenít had the chance to use them myself (yet).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Penkala

Re: Shure ULXD HD mode: What are the trade offs?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 03:57:31 pm »

Ah, I see. That makes more sense. Thanks for the insight - some more questions, if you donít mind:

Did you have backup freqs. for each device, or just a generic list to cutover to if something was funky?

Were you able to monitor all systems from a central location, or did you have a few networks you hooked up to in those areas? (Specifically thinking all the breakouts vs the GS and exhibit floor)

Definitely. One can only be certain if thereís s known quantity - at least as certain as one can be with anything wireless, haha.

Iíve done similar setups and would have like to try out HD Mode with higher channel counts like you were asking about, but only had UHF-R packs to work with.

Did you deploy any ULXD goosenecks, or just lavs & handhelds? I havenít had the chance to use them myself (yet).

I had backup frequencies for each frequency band in each zone.

Some of the larger rooms had small LAN's with workbench running. I did not have remote control /monitoring for this show. Although sometimes I will set up a LAN and attach 80-120 units to configure them before a show.

HD mode was really helpful on this show. The only problems were human factor issues, not RF issues. Things like antennas plugged into cascade ports, antennas positioned wrong (not in line of sight, etc.), and wrong frequencies programmed. Basically, you need to follow basic "RF 101" practices when using HD mode. Of course one should always follow RF best practices but the 1mw HD mode isn't as forgiving as the normal 10mw deployment. If you have common sense and a little RF knowledge, it works extremely well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.