ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: crown amp question  (Read 6267 times)

Jody Gould

Re: crown amp question
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »

Even after talking to you and making drawing you are still struggling with this.  The processor is on the input, it has nothing to do with being bridged.  You can run as many amps as you like off the processor.

When you bridge an amp you combine the output of the two channels (you only feed one input when bridging) into a single output (the + of each side, see manual as doing this wrong can damage amp).

As per our previous discussion, bridging with this amp is not a solution since you would have a 4 ohm load with the two MS-18 (8 ohm) drivers that are in the 650R2 in parallel.  The amp is really too small, you won't have any headroom if you run one cabinet in 4 ohm mode (drivers in parallel) per channel or run one channel to each driver in the cabinet (one amp per cabinet).

You also need to make sure you understand the sense circuit and properly gain staging the processors.  The sensitivity switch is on bottom of the PIP card slot on the amp, you have to take it out to get to it.

Have you read the Meyer manuals and the Crown manual?

You know Jody some folks just aren't technically minded.  You may be an ideal candidate for powered subs where all this is taken care of for you.   The Meyer 650P is same sub powered.  If you have the original MS-18 drivers in your cabinet, not MS-18 frames reconed with EV kits as many on the market are, you could sell your 650R2's and amps and have powered subs to match the MSL-4's.  I think that would make your life a lot easier.

Lol, i don't think im getting my point across.   im just trying understand how you link all them together.  meyer manual doesn't say how or anywhere online,  if i saw a pic, and saw what kind of cables and connections. i could do it. no problem.  not rocket science for sure.  here a drawing of my signal flow.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 12:19:30 AM »

Lol, i don't think im getting my point across.   im just trying understand how you link all them together.  meyer manual doesn't say how or anywhere online,  if i saw a pic, and saw what kind of cables and connections. i could do it. no problem.  not rocket science for sure.  here a drawing of my signal flow.

What do you mean the Meyer manual doesn't have any instructions?   It is very detailed in how to set gain on your amp and what connections to make.

Where are you confused?  I thought you understood when we spoke.

Your drawing is exactly correct. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jody Gould

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 12:28:29 AM »

What do you mean the Meyer manual doesn't have any instructions?   It is very detailed in how to set gain on your amp and what connections to make.

Where are you confused?  I thought you understood when we spoke.

Your drawing is exactly correct.
they just show one processor to the 650, not multiple 650.  what confused me was.  the y cable, because one goes to one crown , the other to the other crown .  so you have to put one in the input of the crown.  if you do that then it only comes out one side of the output on amp right?  and i need to use both sides of the amp to feed the 650

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16:06 AM »

they just show one processor to the 650, not multiple 650.  what confused me was.  the y cable, because one goes to one crown , the other to the other crown .  so you have to put one in the input of the crown.  if you do that then it only comes out one side of the output on amp right?  and i need to use both sides of the amp to feed the 650

That's what the parallel input switch is for on the crown, or use another Y cable.  Whatever floats your boat.

Did you read the manual on the Crown?  Don't get bogged down by the drawing that shows the "double current" mode on the outputs, just use the parallel switch (which the manual indicates ties the inputs together) and hook 1+/1- to channel 1 and 2+/2- to channel two and call it a day.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jody Gould

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »

That's what the parallel input switch is for on the crown, or use another Y cable.  Whatever floats your boat.

Did you read the manual on the Crown?  Don't get bogged down by the drawing that shows the "double current" mode on the outputs, just use the parallel switch (which the manual indicates ties the inputs together) and hook 1+/1- to channel 1 and 2+/2- to channel two and call it a day.

Ok. Thanks Scott !

phasesonix

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »

You can't use a bridged amplifier for a bi-amped speaker.  I think you do not understand what "bi-amped" means.

I'm setting up a system and just wondering why you say you can not use bridged amps to run Biamped speakers?

If i have a bridged amp running at 4ohm powering the Lf  driver in a speaker that is 4 ohms why would that not work?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »

Since this posting just got woke back up (Phasesonix you'll need to display your full name)

As for Crown Micro and Macro Tech amps "parallel mode" in the case of those amps it is not a input Y cable so to speak switch.
It operates the amp output channel in parallel where you need to jumper the + output terminals together for driving very low impedance loads with a high current drive.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber