Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

crown amp question

(1/4) > >>

Jody Gould:
i want to use my crown microtech 1200 in bridge mode to power a meyer 650 r2 which is biamp. (4 pole speakon) connector.   my cable im thinking about getting would have two banana plugs on one end and the male speakon 4 pole on the other end.   

question.    On the crown amp you plug the first banana plug in for bridge .  do i stack the other banana plug on top of the other one?? 

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jody Gould on May 05, 2019, 06:35:18 PM ---i want to use my crown microtech 1200 in bridge mode to power a meyer 650 r2 which is biamp. (4 pole speakon) connector.   my cable im thinking about getting would have two banana plugs on one end and the male speakon 4 pole on the other end.   

question.    On the crown amp you plug the first banana plug in for bridge .  do i stack the other banana plug on top of the other one??

--- End quote ---

You can't use a bridged amplifier for a bi-amped speaker.  I think you do not understand what "bi-amped" means.

Jody Gould:
can you tell why you cant?  i would have power going to 1plus and 1neg and 2 plus and 2 neg. Wouldn't  the bridge amp would send out 970 watt at 8 ohms to each speaker

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Jody Gould on May 05, 2019, 08:41:00 PM ---can you tell why you cant?  i would have power going to 1plus and 1neg and 2 plus and 2 neg. Wouldn't  the bridge amp would send out 970 watt at 8 ohms to each speaker

--- End quote ---
The term "biamp" usually refers to a speaker where different pass bands are driven by different amplifiers, like low on one amp, highs on another, with an electronic crossover or processor ahead of the amp to divide and control the signal.

Your 650 R2 subs have only 1 pass band, sub lows. If they are wired to both channels of the NL4 or EP4 you would wire the 2 circuits in parallel, 1+ and 2+ on the plus terminal of the amp, and 1- and 2- on the minus terminal. You could do this by stacking banana plugs. Since your Crown Macro Tech 1200 is rated at 495W into 4Ω, and the 650 R2 is rated for an amp of 400W into 4Ω there is no reason to bridge the amp. Use 1 amp, with 1 speaker per channel. The amp specs do not mention using them briged into 4Ω.

Mac

Ray Aberle:

--- Quote from: Jody Gould on May 05, 2019, 08:41:00 PM ---can you tell why you cant?  i would have power going to 1plus and 1neg and 2 plus and 2 neg. Wouldn't  the bridge amp would send out 970 watt at 8 ohms to each speaker

--- End quote ---
Well, if you would like to learn from "Ye Olde School of Hard Knocks," hook it up and see what happens.

[pedantic: the cable has a *female* connector on it, not a *male* connector.]

[Mac's explaining things better so I'm gonna leave it alone. heh.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version