ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power and DMX feeds in the came conduit / cable  (Read 4733 times)

David Allred

Power and DMX feeds in the came conduit / cable
« on: May 02, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »

Every where I read that this is a no-no, but I found this from how Acclaim Lighting specs their wiring.
As a reference, they exterior lit the Mercedes Benz dome in ATL.
I really want to run my Shielded Cat5e cable in the conduit with the power runs.

Explanations?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:09:35 PM by David Allred »

Cailen Waddell

Re: Power and DMX feeds in the came conduit / cable
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »

Portable cable is not the same thing as install.  Install jumpers aren’t cables pulled in conduit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Power and DMX feeds in the came conduit / cable
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

The issue you face is simply having your DMX cable meet the same insulation spec as the power cable.  It is likely that if you purchase DMX cable with appropriate cable jackets then you can run them together. You still have to separate the DMX from the power at the ends as once you strip the external jacket to terminate, you might no longer meet the insulation requirements for a common enclosure. You can’t just use random DMX cable.

Of course, even after you meet the NEC requirements, you still must meet the requirements of the local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction - aka, electrical inspector).

In your example, they used cable manufactured for their purpose. I am sure all the conductors, or at least the 3 sets, were all insulated to 600 V since they mention use at 277v.

Edit to talk about example

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:26:59 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 01:35:21 AM »

Manufactured, tested, listed assemblies don’t have to meet (in the USA) NEC requirements.  If you open up an appliance that’s rated to draw 240V/50A you will (in my experience) find much smaller conductors than NEC requires for building wire.  That’s because the mfgr has done all the work to make sure it’s safe as designed for the intended application.

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »

So the cable exits, but not sold to the end user?  They make jumpers to connect lights, that can't  be run through conduit, but don't know the separation needed.  Why don't they sell the raw cable, or at least offer where to get it?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »

So the cable exits, but not sold to the end user?  They make jumpers to connect lights, that can't  be run through conduit, but don't know the separation needed.  Why don't they sell the raw cable, or at least offer where to get it?

I found the connectors with no problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the cable is available through the same dealer, but the website is hard on mobile so I didn’t look.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.