ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Half cardioid on piano  (Read 2550 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Half cardioid on piano
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »

I don’t eat the call often.  When I do, I use a pair of Audix scx-25.  Bass side positioned 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back.  Treble side 12 to 18” back from the hammers.

Short stick.

Gaff for cable management inside the piano.

I have not needed to deal with a grand on a rock ‘n roll stage.  I have done blues and old school R&B with a singing piano player but the stage volume did not require screaming loud monitors - thank god, or in that case David Vest ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »

I use DPA 4099 with magnet mounts, but as you’ll all probably are aware of, I’m a bit of a DPA fanboy.

It can sound anything from reasonable loud with the lid closed to very natural with the lid open.

I’ve worked with a couple of techs who employ 4099 + a AKG c411 contact mic for more monitor level or combine it with the Yamahiko pickup system for more level and low end if wanted/needed. Both solutions seems to work reasonably well.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »

I gave the TGD71c a try on piano last weekend. The group consisted of piano, 5 string electric bass, and two vocalists. The piano was on high stick.
The single mic worked well, picking up a nice balance of the range of the instrument. However, we had a problem with low energy regeneration on stage. The bass was getting into the piano mic. When I muted the piano mic the problem went away.
There is a bandshell on the stage which may have contributed to the problem.
I like the sound of the mic on piano and it's ability to do a good job using a single mic but it is probably best used for a solo piano concert, piano and vocalist, or an acoustic ensemble.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.