ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD2 handhelds w/ULXD4Q - any tricks?  (Read 852 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Shure ULXD2 handhelds w/ULXD4Q - any tricks?
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »

With the closing of my sound company, I decided to keep just enough gear to continue running shows at my favorite venue here in town - really small venue, seats about 65-70 people. I've mentioned it in other threads, so I won't go into huge detail.

The rig for this venue consists of:

Midas M32 Core
Midas DL32 Stagebox
RCF TT5-A
Shure ULXD2 handhelds (SM58, SM58 Beta, sE MC1 V7 capsules available)
Shure ULXD4Q receiver

I've been feeling not super thrilled with the sound of my vocals; I've been using the ULXD2 exclusively for the past few shows there. I swapped out the NX45A with the TT5A and there was a slight improvement in the vocal quality, but not a ton.

It's difficult to explain the sound of the vocals, but they sound sort of thin, and flat. No depth or warmth to them.

Well, last night, I had a performer who wanted to use his own mic - a trusty, wired SM58. I plugged his SM58 directly into the same input as one of my ULXD2 SM58s would've been in, and the difference was immediately noticeable. Vocals sounded natural, full, and warm.

After the gig was done, I did my own A-B comparison with one of my wired SM58 and a ULXD2 with SM58 capsule - again, difference was striking, in favor of the wired 58.

Is there some type of setting within the ULXD2 that I'm not aware of that I need to pay attention to?

I'm using them on the 1mW setting due to their close proximity to the mix rack. ULXD4Q Gains are at +0dB. Signal from the ULXD4Q is stronger than from a wired SM58... I normally run my gain on the ULXD2s at +21dB; with the SM58 I was at +26.5dB.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Shure ULXD2 handhelds w/ULXD4Q - any tricks?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »

With the closing of my sound company, I decided to keep just enough gear to continue running shows at my favorite venue here in town - really small venue, seats about 65-70 people. I've mentioned it in other threads, so I won't go into huge detail.

The rig for this venue consists of:

Midas M32 Core
Midas DL32 Stagebox
RCF TT5-A
Shure ULXD2 handhelds (SM58, SM58 Beta, sE MC1 V7 capsules available)
Shure ULXD4Q receiver

I've been feeling not super thrilled with the sound of my vocals; I've been using the ULXD2 exclusively for the past few shows there. I swapped out the NX45A with the TT5A and there was a slight improvement in the vocal quality, but not a ton.

It's difficult to explain the sound of the vocals, but they sound sort of thin, and flat. No depth or warmth to them.

Well, last night, I had a performer who wanted to use his own mic - a trusty, wired SM58. I plugged his SM58 directly into the same input as one of my ULXD2 SM58s would've been in, and the difference was immediately noticeable. Vocals sounded natural, full, and warm.

After the gig was done, I did my own A-B comparison with one of my wired SM58 and a ULXD2 with SM58 capsule - again, difference was striking, in favor of the wired 58.

Is there some type of setting within the ULXD2 that I'm not aware of that I need to pay attention to?

I'm using them on the 1mW setting due to their close proximity to the mix rack. ULXD4Q Gains are at +0dB. Signal from the ULXD4Q is stronger than from a wired SM58... I normally run my gain on the ULXD2s at +21dB; with the SM58 I was at +26.5dB.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

I don’t have ULXD, just ULX. That said, could be a defective capsule? Also, does it need cleaning? Lots of females tend to goop em up with lip gloss etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »

I have four of the ULXD2 and all have the same sound. The capsules are spotless; no lipstick on them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.