ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on new projector  (Read 5121 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: advice on new projector
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 12:53:52 AM »

Expensive, yes. But 40,000 Lumens? I'd love to see that!

Some of those really high lumen units you have to lamp on site too.  Can’t ship the PJ with the lamp installed.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply. After some search, I see that 800 euros is the starting price for >4500 lumens short throw projectors, so I thought 1000 euros would be ok. After reading your reply I guess I'm far from any considerable upgrade, at least for outdoor gigs (for which rental becomes the no.1 option)
As for indoor events, do you think that upgrading from my current 3000 lumens projector to a 5000 unit would be a substantial improvement?
Getting back to reality here, if you're currently using a 4:3 format projector cropped for modern 16:9 content, you're getting less than 3000 lumens of usable output. Migrating to a 5000 lumen 16:9 projector would likely double your apparent brightness, not to mention the lamp in your existing projector is probably not as bright as it was when it was new. That very well could be worth the upgrade.

1000 euros might get you a Panasonic PT-VZ580U which is 5000 lumens and 1920x1200 resolution with a throw range of 1.06:1. This is still a conventional lamp projector, but for occasional use, that might be fine. Laser light sources are better, but the cost goes up.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »

Take a look at the Sony VLP-PHZ10 and the Sony VPL FHZ66. The PHZ10 gets a lot of great reviews from Houses of Worship, but it is a fixed lens system (~1.1-1.6:1, I think) that may not be short-throw ENOUGH for rear projection.

The FHZ66 also gets a lot of love from the HoW & install industry, and it has interchangeable lenses for flexibility.

Do realize that short-throw rear projection also typically requires that you center the projected image on the display area to (1) minimize hotspotting as viewed from the audience perspective, and (2) maintain image crispness throughout the field of the image. Short-throw lenses tend to fisheye the image and the edges can quickly become out-of-focus when small adjustments are made to overall zoom & focus settings.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far, they were all useful in some way, I'll keep educating myself on the subject before I make a choice.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far, they were all useful in some way, I'll keep educating myself on the subject before I make a choice.
Projector Central is also a great resource. They have a very robust database of technical specs and a handy throw distance calculator which should help with your short throw requirements.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »

Projector Central is also a great resource. They have a very robust database of technical specs and a handy throw distance calculator which should help with your short throw requirements.

Short throw lenses are a pain in the ass.   We have 7000 lumen sxga Christie's that when we rear project have to build boxes out of pipe and drape to contain light leakage.  It is brutal.

For front projection the old Christie's have done well for us. A surprising amount of people are willing to compromise on 4:3 system when they see the cost difference.

We got a screaming deal on the projectors with flyware, 3 sets of glass (long throw, standard and short) cases, tons of SDI BNC cables, spare lamps and such.   The big boys are getting rid of this gear, you should be able to find a similar deal.

When we buy it will be Panasonic 10k lasers.  They are universally accepted it and we can cross rent all we need.

More important than renting the gear on any job with video is we get an experienced operator.   It's a whole different skill set.  I tried to be the video tech at one small corporate event, I got through it but never again.

Hope you come up with a workable and profitable solution.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Taylor Hall

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »

When we buy it will be Panasonic 10k lasers.  They are universally accepted it and we can cross rent all we need.
Looks like we're on roughly the same path. We have a small fleet of 6k panasonics that work great for us in most cases, but with more rentals requesting larger screens now (15-20') we end up renting a 10k for those screens and have gotten those laser units a few times now. Wonderful output, robust inputs, and lamp life an order of magnitude longer than standard halides? Sign me up.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.