ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions for Digital Mixer for small AV Company  (Read 4580 times)

Josh Rawls

Re: Opinions for Digital Mixer for small AV Company
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 08:41:27 pm »

I really like digital mixers. I like that I can do so much in the mixer without having to bring outboard gear with me. During a couple of different Yamaha training sessions they said the one thing that is so great about a digital mixer is that you can do so much with it and the one thing that is so bad about a digital mixer is that you can do so much.

But I have seen the lack of skills with some of the type people that you are talking about. And with a digital mixer they can really mess things up and not be able to get anything working. If there was a way for you to come up with settings that cover the basic needs and venues, that they can recall. You will mainly have to teach them how to recall a scene and show them how to not over write a scene. You might want to tell them to never save a scene just recall the ones on the mixer. You also might want to somehow attach a sealed envelope with a USB thumb drive in it that they can use as a backup when they mess things up and they will mess things up. The reason I say a sealed envelope is to keep them honest. Tell them if they ever have to revert to the backup (which you will have to be sure you have more of) they are to tell you and if you find one of the backup envelopes unsealed you will know you have someone you need to educate better, especially if they didnít tell you.

All this to say a digital mixer can be good or it can be very bad.

I think the last time I used an analog mixer was almost a year ago for a thing we do once a year where everything but the speakers are setup in the back of a van so no matter what the weather is the electronics wonít get wet. It is a distributed announce system.

You make some great points. I love the idea of the thumb drive in a sealed envelope and I'll definitely do that. I was planning on having some settings saved for different venues/setups. Thanks for the ideas!
Josh Rawls

Josh Rawls

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 08:48:30 pm »

If anyone is curious I turned in a 9 page report detailing what issues I was having and all of the options available to solve them; mic/speaker placement techniques, new mics, new speakers, new mixer, outboard analog gear for existing mixer.

After researching speakers, mics, outboard gear, and digital mixers the digital mixer option was the most bang for the buck.

My suggestions were, in order:
  • A&H SQ-5
  • Yamaha TF1
  • Midas M32R
I hope to find out soon what the decision was. If they decline to invest, I'm going to part ways as the stress of running shows with the equipment they provide is not worth it. If they do invest that's showing me they are somewhat serious and I'll stick around for awhile. Either way, it will be interesting!

Thanks again to everyone who gave their input.
Josh Rawls

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 10:05:23 pm »

If anyone is curious I turned in a 9 page report detailing what issues I was having and all of the options available to solve them; mic/speaker placement techniques, new mics, new speakers, new mixer, outboard analog gear for existing mixer.

After researching speakers, mics, outboard gear, and digital mixers the digital mixer option was the most bang for the buck.

My suggestions were, in order:
  • A&H SQ-5
  • Yamaha TF1
  • Midas M32R
I hope to find out soon what the decision was. If they decline to invest, I'm going to part ways as the stress of running shows with the equipment they provide is not worth it. If they do invest that's showing me they are somewhat serious and I'll stick around for awhile. Either way, it will be interesting!

Thanks again to everyone who gave their input.

Do they even have liability insurance?

Did you get paid to write this analysis? 

There is nothing wrong with being frugal but you have to have the right tools to do the job. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:04:28 am by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2019, 07:20:05 am »

I wouldn't set up a mic stand without it!

Josh Rawls

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »

Did you get paid to write this analysis? 

There is nothing wrong with being frugal but you have to have the right tools to do the job.

Yes, no, and agreed.
Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:14 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.