ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for power amp to drive MRX 515?  (Read 3835 times)

Travis_Valois

Re: Suggestions for power amp to drive MRX 515?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »

A local club that I work with has an MRX system for the restaurant/lounge upstairs from the club, MRX 515 over MRX518. Tops are powered with PLX 3102, bottoms with PLX 3602 with a Driverack PA+ for processing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »

Why not just use another iNuke 6000?

The line has been refreshed as the NX series, and the NX6000 is the amp you're thinking of. With DSP, the NX6000D.
IMO at the price point the DSP in the D amps is hard to beat. Making changes on the fly is way easier than with, say, my XTi2002 (soon to be joined by an XTi4002), where you really do have to connect a laptop to them to see anything because the display is not dot-matrix. That said, if they are in an installed system then that may be desirable because there's less desire for normies to futz with them. I put 4 of the XTi2s in a high school gymnasium half a decade ago bi-amping four Altec Lansing DTS 645 cabinets, with care paid to proper crossover, relative level, and corrective EQ. (Now, would I do the same with the Behringers? Only if I could keep an eye on them.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:06:41 PM by Rory Buszka »
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »

Why not just use another iNuke 6000?

I am considering that as well.  Would be a touch on the high side power wise for the MRX, but I can keep that under control with proper setup in the processor.  Thanks!

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »

I am considering that as well.  Would be a touch on the high side power wise for the MRX, but I can keep that under control with proper setup in the processor.  Thanks!

A friend just picked up a few of the nx6000 and just ran a small street fest where my band played. I’d felt they sounded very good with a good amount of power. If you get the dsp version that would help in limiting the power.

The gx7 is a near perfect match though power wise.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the advice.  I am scouting now for a suitable amp in the area.  Curiously, decent power amps rarely pop up used near me.  The good news is that the system works fine now, so we are in no great rush and can wait until we can find the right gear at the right price.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »

Just a quick FWIW, if you could run the system mono for a test, you could bridge your current NU3000 into the pair of JBLs and have a good approximation of what an NU6000 will do for you.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »

Just a quick FWIW, if you could run the system mono for a test, you could bridge your current NU3000 into the pair of JBLs and have a good approximation of what an NU6000 will do for you.

Chris

That thought had occurred to me, but I am reluctant to push a "value" amp bridged into that low of a load. 

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »

Chris

Follow up on this topic - I forgot that there was a Behringer EP1500 (RMX 850 clone) driving monitors.  Bridged, it is right at 1400W into 4 ohms.  Any input on bridging that to drive the tops and moving the iNuke 3000 to monitor duty?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

I'd be more comfortable bridging the iNuke. The EP2500 bench tests pretty well, but the EP1500 IIRC won't go much above 500w/ch into 2ohm, and it'll run like a hairdryer trying.

My recommendation would be to test with the iNuke bridged and see if it's enough of an improvement to stump up for the NX6000D.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »

I'd be more comfortable bridging the iNuke. The EP2500 bench tests pretty well, but the EP1500 IIRC won't go much above 500w/ch into 2ohm, and it'll run like a hairdryer trying.

My recommendation would be to test with the iNuke bridged and see if it's enough of an improvement to stump up for the NX6000D.

Chris

Thanks.  I believe I will heed your advice and try the iNuke in bridge mode for the moment. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.