ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CL5 Cue EQ  (Read 2143 times)

Matthias McCready

CL5 Cue EQ
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »

I am fairly new to the Yamaha stuff, so I was hoping to glean some assistance from one of the Yammi guru's.

Is there a way to apply EQ to the cue output (either as insert or having the Cue send to a bus/matrix)?

Back story:I have been mixing weekly at a venue with an extremely compromised mix position (in a balcony and in a separate enclosed room). I have been getting by with a tablet on the ground thus far, but it is very cue heavy show and less than ideal for running on a tablet. So looking to get some monitors to roughly match the PA, I found the delay, but am hoping to EQ things so things feel fairly close.

Ideally the console would move every week, but it is a temporary mobile church in a highschool and we already load in at 4:30AM and the school does not want to provide access any earlier, additionally with the setup of the room, chairs would need to move, which they are willing to do on occasion but not every week.

Thanks!

Matthias
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: CL5 Cue EQ
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »

Unfortunately not for the CUE function.

You could rig up something on an extra mix bus or a matrix, so that whatever you send to the mains also goes to that matrix, which can be EQed and delayed, etc...

The monitor outputs, which are meant for near field monitors and are a closely related output may have the ability to use EQ, but I don't remember.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »

You could rig up something on an extra mix bus or a matrix, so that whatever you send to the mains also goes to that matrix, which can be EQed and delayed, etc...

The monitor outputs, which are meant for near field monitors and are a closely related output may have the ability to use EQ, but I don't remember.

Yeah, there's no way to patch in an EQ unless you go out of the console and then back in.  Do you have any cards in the desk?  I've used an unused MY-AES card as a route to do this kind of thing in the past.  In fact, i have a DB25 "crossover" connector i made to basically route AES 1-8 Out to AES 1-8 IN, so i can route things to things that the CL5 won't do natively.

You can of course also do this with extra Omni I/O if you're not using all of it....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »

Is there a way to apply EQ to the cue output (either as insert or having the Cue send to a bus/matrix)?

Back story:I have been mixing weekly at a venue with an extremely compromised mix position (in a balcony and in a separate enclosed room). I have been getting by with a tablet on the ground thus far, but it is very cue heavy show and less than ideal for running on a tablet. So looking to get some monitors to roughly match the PA, I found the delay, but am hoping to EQ things so things feel fairly close.

Is there a reason you want to do this using the Cue function? It seems to me that you'd be better off (especially when you're in the house) using near-field monitors just for reinforcing what's coming out of the PA, and using headphones for PAFL work. As Justice mentioned you should be able to do this pretty easily with a matrix.

For the last show I designed where the mix position needed near-fields I fed them out of the PA's system processor. Near-fields in this application (especially if you're in the house) are basically just there to extend PA coverage to the mix position, making them nothing more than glorified rear delays, and treating them as such should increase the chances that what you're hearing out of them is in any way indicative of what the audience is hearing (if for no other reason than it makes them much harder to accidentally screw up).

-Russ

Aram Piligian

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »

I forget--when you use MTX 7/8 as Cue B, does any EQ on the matrix bus affect the cued bus?

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »

I forget--when you use MTX 7/8 as Cue B, does any EQ on the matrix bus affect the cued bus?

hmmmmm...  very interesting and valid question.  i'll race you to see who gets to check first...

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Aram Piligian

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:15 AM »

I'll be behind one on Monday, so... to be continued?

brian maddox

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »

I'll be behind one on Monday, so... to be continued?

i will as well.  But not until after 2.  so you'll probably win....   :(

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Matthias McCready

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »

Hey everyone thanks for the replies, sorry busy week!

Awesome good to know! I will have to look at the monitor output.

Yeah, there's no way to patch in an EQ unless you go out of the console and then back in.  Do you have any cards in the desk?  I've used an unused MY-AES card as a route to do this kind of thing in the past.  In fact, i have a DB25 "crossover" connector i made to basically route AES 1-8 Out to AES 1-8 IN, so i can route things to things that the CL5 won't do natively.

You can of course also do this with extra Omni I/O if you're not using all of it....

No cards and I believe all of the Omni are used.  :P Thinking of maybe just bringing a Meyer CP-10 EQ

Is there a reason you want to do this using the Cue function? It seems to me that you'd be better off (especially when you're in the house) using near-field monitors just for reinforcing what's coming out of the PA, and using headphones for PAFL work. As Justice mentioned you should be able to do this pretty easily with a matrix.

For the last show I designed where the mix position needed near-fields I fed them out of the PA's system processor. Near-fields in this application (especially if you're in the house) are basically just there to extend PA coverage to the mix position, making them nothing more than glorified rear delays, and treating them as such should increase the chances that what you're hearing out of them is in any way indicative of what the audience is hearing (if for no other reason than it makes them much harder to accidentally screw up).

-Russ

Russ,

this is true the Cue function is not the best solution for monitoring. The reason I ask is all of the Matrix's and busses are currently used, the console is certainly being used to capacity. I don't have access to patch after the system processing (it is an installed system).

I didn't set the console (show-file) up and with load in time and the schedule I don't have a lot of time to go through the console. I am not huge fan of experimenting while the band is playing!

I believe I will be able to reroute a few things and free up Matrix 7/8.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.