ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone slaved a Yamaha 01v96vcm off an 01v96i mixer?  (Read 2619 times)

Brad Jekko

Anyone slaved a Yamaha 01v96vcm off an 01v96i mixer?
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:33 PM »

These 2 generations appear to be identical spec, except the additional USB recording port on the 01v96i, can anyone tell me if I can slave my 01V96vcm from the current (newly discontinued) model?

Brad Jekko

Re: Anyone slaved a Yamaha 01v96vcm off an 01v96i mixer?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:41:52 PM »

...I think I'll just answer my own question, the USB port in the 01v96VCM is just for master/slave. The USB port in the 01v96i is for EITHER master/slave, or outputting to DAW.  Basically, it isn't possible to cascade 2 mixers AND output to DAW. These companies know how to close up a loophole.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »

...I think I'll just answer my own question, the USB port in the 01v96VCM is just for master/slave. The USB port in the 01v96i is for EITHER master/slave, or outputting to DAW.  Basically, it isn't possible to cascade 2 mixers AND output to DAW. These companies know how to close up a loophole.

Yes.  The USB port on the mixer frame is for DATA, not digital audio.

I kind of remember a couple posts here over the last 10 years about cascading 01vxxx mixers but I don't recall enough specifics to help much.  IIRC it's not possible to cascade them in a way that gives 2x inputs while maintaining fully flexible busing options, but I think it's possible to *control* the 2 mixers simultaneously.  And I could be completely wrong.

Controlling via a DAW?  Not sure how those mixers interpret HUI/GUI/LOUI.  You might try this over in the REC PIT forums across the PSW hall and see if anyone remembers the good old days.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:40:01 AM »

When the 01V96 mixers are be cascaded together, the output busses from the slave mixer are sent to the same busses on the Master mixer. I think it's limited to 8 channels, iirc, so you can get 6 mix busses and the stereo main output buss. The MIDI/USB connection is for control, not the audio. But, iirc, you can bank both of them together, i.e. flipping between the two input layers and the Master output and remote layers will happen together, but they have to be routed individually.

I mixed this way with two 01V96v2 mixers cascaded together back in summer of aught 07, at the Utah Shakespeare Festival. It worked, but wasn't pretty.

The USB port can be used for MIDI over USB or to connect to a DAW for HUI. You can't do both at the same time. You can use the the MIDI I/O for your Master/Slave connection and then use the USB for HUI, I believe.

The i version added ASIO functionality to the USB port, so you could use it as a recording interface. The older versions didn't have that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:42:55 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 05:32:05 AM »

These 2 generations appear to be identical spec, except the additional USB recording port on the 01v96i, can anyone tell me if I can slave my 01V96vcm from the current (newly discontinued) model?

How many channels do you need and can you get by with some slight latency? I've used the Adat Port outs and the Stereo SPDIF to cascade a 01v and 01v96 before. 

The 8 Adat channels are Not Assigned to the L/R outs on the 01v slave desk. These went to the 01v96 Adat in with the 01v96 clock set as master, 01v as slave. These went to channels 17-24.  8 channels to mix as needed.

Next I used the SPDIF sent from the 01v to the 01v96 and assigned what I wanted from the 01v to go to channels 25/26 in the 01v96 as a stereo mix.  I set the SPDIF to be the L/R from the 01v. ( the SPDIF may only be assignable to L/R not sure as its been awhile )  These 2 channels are of course the mix of any channels I want to go to the 01v96. These also include the effects on the 01V.  If you can get away with a 2 track drum mix for your monitor needs this works well.

In the picture I had 10 channels for drums on the 01V sent to the 01v96 including the 2 effects in the 01V being sent down the SDIF L/R mix. Gated reverb for snare and a general reverb for the rest.  I guess if you didn't need separate channels for monitor send needs you could just send the L/R out 2 ADAT channels to your 01v96i and use the slave and its full processing and effects for a drum processing desk.

Kindest regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Brad Jekko

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 05:46:14 AM »

How many channels do you need and can you get by with some slight latency? I've used the Adat Port outs and the Stereo SPDIF to cascade a 01v and 01v96 before. 
I am looking at all these options, thanks for the information, there is latency on the ADAT outputs?? I don't mind latency to the DAW, but between mixers I don't want to encourage any phase problems as I use the 01v96VCM for live sound.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:03:57 AM »

I am looking at all these options, thanks for the information, there is latency on the ADAT outputs?? I don't mind latency to the DAW, but between mixers I don't want to encourage any phase problems as I use the 01v96VCM for live sound.

If I still had my 01V I'd be happy to measure it but its long gone now. I seem to remember 1.2 or 1.6ms from 01v input to 01v96 output but I don't remember what the 01v96 had for XLR in to XLR outs. If your using the VCM for a side car with just the Drums on it I don't think it would be an issue live. I honestly don't know if once converted over to digital if there is any more latency going to adat in/out to another desk.

Of course you could pick up a 16 in/out adat card for you 01v96I and a couple of ADA8200's or better ADAT preamps and just use your 01v96I. Again I don't think latency issues live would be noticed but for the price of an ADAT cable it would be easy to try. I know it worked fine for me and what I was doing at the time.

https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/ADA8200/p/P0ATL

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Brad Jekko

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:55:29 PM »

https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/ADA8200/p/P0ATL

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

This is why I am looking at a second 01v96 (vcm), because 96K is where I want to stay, ADAT only transfers 4 channels at 96K and you can see the ADA8200 has 8 inputs and only 1 ADAT out.  Having a second mixer is always a good for live sound in case one breaks at a gig, I think between the analog outs and ADAT and maybe an expansion card or 2 I can achieve what I want to.  Latency between busses might not be an issue just another phase issue of many that might not ever surface as a problem.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »

This is why I am looking at a second 01v96 (vcm), because 96K is where I want to stay, ADAT only transfers 4 channels at 96K and you can see the ADA8200 has 8 inputs and only 1 ADAT out.  Having a second mixer is always a good for live sound in case one breaks at a gig, I think between the analog outs and ADAT and maybe an expansion card or 2 I can achieve what I want to.  Latency between busses might not be an issue just another phase issue of many that might not ever surface as a problem.

Obligatory comment -

96k is mostly pointless for live audio, and IS pointless from an FOH mix perspective.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »

Obligatory comment -

96k is mostly pointless for live audio, and IS pointless from an FOH mix perspective.
Especially on the 01V96, which has only run of the mill pre amps.

The only time I run at 96k is for recording classical music, symphonies, operas, chamber music, etc...
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.