ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquiti PoE Switch with Dante AVIO  (Read 5811 times)

jabney (john abney)

Ubiquiti PoE Switch with Dante AVIO
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:56:21 PM »

Looking at the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch XP ES-8XP 8-Port Advanced Power over Ethernet Switch (just under $200 new) or Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 Port Advanced Power Ethernet Switch (a little under $120 used - with some visible dust). This will be connected to some Dante AVIO devices (which can use PoE) and sometimes an A&H iLive with a Dante card. The iLive Dante card already plugs into a Cisco SG300 (without PoE). The thought was for the Ubiquiti to plug into the Cisco SG300 most of the time.

Will those various switches all work together? Seems Ubiquiti switches are popular with users of PoE-powered cameras; any problems with either of the two Ubiguiti switches running 48k/32bit or 48k/24bit audio? Are there similar choices in that price range that I should look at?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Ubiquiti PoE Switch with Dante AVIO
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:16:14 AM »

Looking at the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch XP ES-8XP 8-Port Advanced Power over Ethernet Switch (just under $200 new) or Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 Port Advanced Power Ethernet Switch (a little under $120 used - with some visible dust). This will be connected to some Dante AVIO devices (which can use PoE) and sometimes an A&H iLive with a Dante card. The iLive Dante card already plugs into a Cisco SG300 (without PoE). The thought was for the Ubiquiti to plug into the Cisco SG300 most of the time.

Will those various switches all work together? Seems Ubiquiti switches are popular with users of PoE-powered cameras; any problems with either of the two Ubiguiti switches running 48k/32bit or 48k/24bit audio? Are there similar choices in that price range that I should look at?

You need to verify that the Ubiquiti switches do proper standards compliant 802.3af PoE.  Unfortunately Ubiquiti has really confused their product line by offering proprietary passive PoE products and doing it in a somewhat confusing to the end user way.  The AVIO device needs real PoE, it won’t work with the ubiquiti passive PoE.

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »

You need to verify that the Ubiquiti switches do proper standards compliant 802.3af PoE.  Unfortunately Ubiquiti has really confused their product line by offering proprietary passive PoE products and doing it in a somewhat confusing to the end user way.  The AVIO device needs real PoE, it won’t work with the ubiquiti passive PoE.

Thanks Erik Jerde,

Your wording about, "somewhat confusing" is extremely helpful to me. It feels like I'm walking on quick-sand trying to find a simple way to use PoE for Dante AVIO without having to use wall-warts.

Thanks again

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »

Thanks Erik Jerde,

Your wording about, "somewhat confusing" is extremely helpful to me. It feels like I'm walking on quick-sand trying to find a simple way to use PoE for Dante AVIO without having to use wall-warts.

Thanks again

The key thing is to look for something in the specs stating 802.3af.  If it has that then you should be good to go.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »

All of the Ubiquiti UNIFI Switches are IEEE 802.3af/at compatible. They must be manually switched to passive in the software.

I haven't used a Ubiquiti in a Dante situation yet. I know some others are using HP switches as an alternative to Cisco.

I will say the Cisco enterprise equipment is nearly bulletproof even their older stuff (2960,3750). The 3850's are nice, very nice, but they're EOL and we're going to the 9300 series switches now (and 9400 routers).

I feel like Audinate should list approved switches instead of saying "it must be compliant & not a green energy device."

https://www.audinate.com/sites/default/files/PDF/dante-network-blacklisted-eee-switches-audinate.pdf
https://www.audinate.com/networks-and-switches
https://www.reddit.com/r/CommercialAV/comments/4yljei/small_danteqlan_capable_poe_network_switches/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:34:46 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »

It's funny that this topic spun-up when it did... I'm in the process of replacing my AirPort Express with a Ubiquiti system... EdgeRouter-X with UAP-AC-M access point, which requires POE.

I'm fairly adept with networking protocols and configs, but the Ubiquiti stuff is a bit of a nightmare. Here's to hoping everything plays nice and that I can get it configured with minimal cursing. Currently in PHX for day job and browsing the Ubiquiti config stuff. Hoping it's easier to deal with when I get back home and get hands on it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:50:48 AM by Steve Litscher »

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »

All of the Ubiquiti Switches are IEEE 802.3af/at compatible. They must be manually switched to passive in the software.

I haven't used a Ubiquiti in a Dante situation yet. I know some others are using HP switches as an alternative to Cisco.

I will say the Cisco enterprise equipment is nearly bulletproof even their older stuff (2960,3750). The 3850's are nice, very nice, but they're EOL and we're going to the 9300 series switches now (and 9400 routers).

I feel like Audinate should list approved switches instead of saying "it must be compliant & not a green energy device."

https://www.audinate.com/sites/default/files/PDF/dante-network-blacklisted-eee-switches-audinate.pdf
https://www.audinate.com/networks-and-switches
https://www.reddit.com/r/CommercialAV/comments/4yljei/small_danteqlan_capable_poe_network_switches/

Thanks Nathan Riddle,

What do you guys think about this 180W model from HP?:

HP JG925A 1920-24G-PoE+ (180W) Switch - Managed - 24 Ports

Several used ones are available for $109.99 each - even one has more ports than I need, and 180W is the 'low-power' model of bigger HP PoE switches. Think that should work?

best, john
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:26:07 PM by jabney (john abney) »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »

Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch XP ES-8XP 8-Port Advanced Power over Ethernet Switch (just under $200 new)

Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 Port Advanced Power Ethernet Switch (a little under $120 used - with some visible dust).

I was a bit premature. All of the Unifi switches are active POE with passive capabilities. I have less experience with the edge switches and they are NOT active compatible.

I'm not particularly fond of the status lights on the HP switch. But functionally looks sound.
Make sure you can disable the EEE feature.

"Energy Efficient Ethernet
Compliant with IEEE 802.3az standard requirements to save energy during periods of low data activity."

Reading between the lines you have a $200 budget and want to connect 8-16 AVIO devices?
Nearly any POE switch will work I'd say.

I'm fond of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQHD54L
But I haven't used them for AVIO/Dante devices.

https://www.reddit.com/r/livesound/comments/9wzeb4/network_switch_for_dante_with_poe/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »

If you are looking for a sub-$200 8 port switch with PoE, the NetGear GS110TPv2 is reported to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Lifetime-Protection-GS110TPv2/dp/B00LW9A328/

Even the Cisco SG350-10P comes in under $200 these days.

https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-Sg350-10P-10-Port-Gigabit-SG35010PK9NA/dp/B01HYA36RM/[/font]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:29:50 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »

Thanks for the various suggestions. Settled on the:

HP JG925A 1920-24G-PoE+ (180W) Switch - Managed - 24 Ports

instead of the more expensive Ubiquiti I'd been looking at or the more expensive Cisco 350 (and those aren't really that expensive).

I've had good results with finding HP workstation documentation, etc. at HP. Turns out the HP switches are handled differently, though. So I'll be using YouTube videos a lot.

Nathan Riddle told me: "I'm not particularly fond of the status lights on the HP switch. But functionally looks sound. Make sure you can disable the EEE feature."

I still don't know about the EEE feature yet. Have to get the HP switch first. The seller said they didn't know, so I took off $5 and made an offer. They accepted.  It's turning into an adventure. If anybody wants me to say more when I learn the answers like: can EEE be turned off? how loud is 44 dB vs silent - really? has Dante made documentation easier yet? and can an older gentleman (me) learn how to run a network? I'll post about it under HP.

thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.