ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL prx812w v. QSC k12.2 for stage monitor  (Read 7288 times)

Frederick Berg

JBL prx812w v. QSC k12.2 for stage monitor
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:34:48 AM »

I'm in the market for a new stage monitor (drummer, backup singer).  I'm not happy with my qsc k10.2.  At the moment the JBL prx812w is price reduced to ~$650 while the k12.2 is @ ~$800.  Not sure if that means the 812w is not selling, and not well liked, or a new model is around the corner?  I've generally been partial to JBL in the past.  Is there a good youtube comparison video?  I've been unable to find one.  If the consensus is the qsc k12.2 is superior, I wouldn't mind paying the higher price--what matters is that I can hear myself sing.  (I prefer the monitor to IEMs, we're a local 4 pc. classic/modern rock party act, rarely play for more than 200-300 people.)

Frederick Berg

Re: JBL prx812w v. QSC k12.2 for stage monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »

I'm in the market for a new stage monitor (drummer, backup singer).  I'm not happy with my qsc k10.2.  At the moment the JBL prx812w is price reduced to ~$650 while the k12.2 is @ ~$800.  Not sure if that means the 812w is not selling, and not well liked, or a new model is around the corner?  I've generally been partial to JBL in the past.  Is there a good youtube comparison video?  I've been unable to find one.  If the consensus is the qsc k12.2 is superior, I wouldn't mind paying the higher price--what matters is that I can hear myself sing.  (I prefer the monitor to IEMs, we're a local 4 pc. classic/modern rock party act, rarely play for more than 200-300 people.)

Forgot to ask, is the "w" in the prx title significant? Is there a jbl prx812 model without the "w"?  Sometimes I see it advertised with the "w" after 812, and sometimes not.  Are there different models identified by "w" or no "w"?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:18:38 AM »

Forgot to ask, is the "w" in the prx title significant? Is there a jbl prx812 model without the "w"?  Sometimes I see it advertised with the "w" after 812, and sometimes not.  Are there different models identified by "w" or no "w"?

Hi ..

You'll have to change your display name to your real name as per forum rules before you will be able to receive responses. Once you do that, the good folks here will offer help. If the moderators get there first, this thread will be locked. Thank you..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »

What is it that you don’t like about your K10?

If for vocals, a K12 will sound pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:43:47 AM »

A decent 10" wedge (a K10 should be fine IMO) will get vocals to very loud levels if it's within 6' of you.

What's your current setup?
Who controls your monitor mix?
What's in your current monitor mix?
Which vocal mic are you using?
Can you get enough output without feedback?
If so, is it just a "tone" thing? ie, you want to change how your vocal sounds?

It's way cheaper to tweak the EQ in the rehearsal than buy a new monitor. Heck, a new vocal mic is cheaper than a monitor.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »

I say neither of them. Save a little money and get a real monitor wedge. There are some great options that have recently come about that are just much better at the task. Turbosound, DB Technologies, heck even RCF make fairly affordable options that are more suited to the task.

If you're stuck on budget and form factor, I would look at EV for some great options. The ZLX is not too bad for monitors and if you can swing the cash, the EKX and even better yet ETX are great at the task.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Frederick Berg

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »

Thanks so much for the responses.  It is possible I have a bum unit, but the k10.2 just isn't very loud.  It's supposed to be 2000w, so you'd think it would scream, but it doesn't.  It has in it only vocals, each of the 4 of us sings, with harmonies, and I only sign back ups, so I am just a little louder in the monitor mix to help get my notes.  I could go IEM, but I'd prefer to hear the stage sound better.  I have a great vocal mike, Sennheiser 935.  I've seen one youtube in which the poster swears the JBL prx will outperform the k12.2.  We just use aux 1-4 out to fee the monitors with no separate eq, so I could improve performance by putting 4 channels of eq between the mixer and the boxes, but that adds a lot of expense, as well as set up time as well.

So our sound guy controls the monitor mix, but that's easy enough, "turn me up" works fine.  But it's not as powerful as I would like (4 pc. modern/classic rock cover band, 2 six string, bass and vocals) 

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »

Can you (or someone else) confirm you're hitting the limiters on the K10.2?
Might just be a case of needing to push the fader a bit further, which is a whole lot cheaper than a new speaker!

That said, there's no replacement for displacement. I won't ever forget the feeling of standing in front of a line of SSE Betamax (EV Deltamax with modifications - it's a cool story, actually...) and having my voice sounding like the loudest thing in the entire world.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 05:07:25 PM »

Have you fiddled with the settings on the speaker?
Is it turned up to 11? ::)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »

Thanks so much for the responses.  It is possible I have a bum unit, but the k10.2 just isn't very loud.  It's supposed to be 2000w, so you'd think it would scream, but it doesn't.  It has in it only vocals, each of the 4 of us sings, with harmonies, and I only sign back ups, so I am just a little louder in the monitor mix to help get my notes.  I could go IEM, but I'd prefer to hear the stage sound better.  I have a great vocal mike, Sennheiser 935.  I've seen one youtube in which the poster swears the JBL prx will outperform the k12.2.  We just use aux 1-4 out to fee the monitors with no separate eq, so I could improve performance by putting 4 channels of eq between the mixer and the boxes, but that adds a lot of expense, as well as set up time as well.

So our sound guy controls the monitor mix, but that's easy enough, "turn me up" works fine.  But it's not as powerful as I would like (4 pc. modern/classic rock cover band, 2 six string, bass and vocals)

Fredrick - it is important to be aware that the QSC is NOT 2000w as I think you believe it to be - that is purely peak.
Also wattage is irrelevant in correlation to volume. There are many many threads here regarding this -  for more information search them out..... interesting stuff.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.