ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small gig, no sub, question re placement to aid low end?  (Read 1067 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: Small gig, no sub, question re placement to aid low end?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 05:28:35 am »

Wow. This isn't a make or break' nor 'not enough rig situation. Just exploring an option to get a bit of extension out of their system. 'Projection? That is clear line of sight vs obstruction, cabs placement vs coverage. A center cluster but not overhead, no one so close as to block them, and def not a long throw' coverage situation.
I understand it's contrary to suggest non standard placement.
I'll see the place again the morning to confirm it's viable or pass.

Non standard placement can have issues, but outside of that, what you are proposing isnít likely to have any discernible effect on your bass output, but will screw your main output. 

I do a pub gig once a year for a madi gras festival where 10 local bars host six acts each in one evening, 3-4 songs and they move onto another bar.

I got roped in three years ago and run pa for a main central event and the promoter asked me too do one of the bars where they had sound problems previously.  Itís a small bar with perhaps 150-180 squeezed in with limited stage room.  The usual job would be to supply two speakers on sticks and make do.  I do exactly this, but, I put a 1 x 18 sub, something like a Mackie.  Put a little bit of bass guitar, BD, snare, tom and keys and it fills things out.  Outside of vocals, the top end usually will take care of itself, adding a little warmth makes the whole thing sound a bit more pro.

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 03:00:18 am »

Thought I'd go ahead and post a follow up.
I decided against the floor cluster idea after a visit the day before the gig.
Day of, we had a few very pleasant turns.
First off was a surprise at what I had assumed were 4 Eon612s turned out to be PRX812 and 815 pairs!

Then a very nice result in hoping to go after 'the kit rather than just the kick, an ATM25 between the floor tom rim and kick did just the trick. 'Fader up, no EQ, the beef of the kit up fat and wide out front.

I presume that could have resulted in a trashy mess but, outside stage, bass amp that side.. I guess I caught a bit of serendipity' in play there.

Interesting in picking between 'Main/Monitor modes out front what turned out to be 'Monitor mode resulted in deeper and flatter of the two. I saw later they show a difference in a less sharp roll off.
I've been playing, recording ect for ages, but as you can likely tell.. this hasn't been my 'day gig :>)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:08:40 am by Wayne Smith2 »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 05:57:03 am »

Monitor mode would usually imply a bass cut due to floor coupling.  Glad it went well for you. 😁

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 07:39:21 am »

Monitor mode would usually imply a bass cut due to floor coupling.  Glad it went well for you.
Perhaps monitor mode also cuts some highs, which then requires more overall volume for vocal clarity and thus a little more bass relative to high/mids? Just spitballing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 07:39:21 am ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.