ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doubling up on Cat5e pairs for security with DMX?  (Read 2248 times)

David Allred

Doubling up on Cat5e pairs for security with DMX?
« on: April 29, 2019, 02:49:19 PM »

Beyond redundancy, is there a benefit to tying (for ex) green & orange together and green stripe & orange stripe together.  Or perhaps, is it bad for some reason.  Gain or loss of max distance?

Can Green & Green stripe be tied for +data and Orange & orange stripe be tied for -data?  I say no.  Am I right?

Thanks,

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Doubling up on Cat5e pairs for security with DMX?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »

Beyond redundancy, is there a benefit to tying (for ex) green & orange together and green stripe & orange stripe together.  Or perhaps, is it bad for some reason.  Gain or loss of max distance?

Can Green & Green stripe be tied for +data and Orange & orange stripe be tied for -data?  I say no.  Am I right?

Thanks,

GN/GW and OR/OW are twisted pairs. That is where your noise resistance and signal integrity comes from. DO NOT use GN+OR and GW+/OW as the 2 conductors of a pair, it will not be a twisted pair and will not have the advantage of using twisted pair for signal integrity. I see no advantage to doubling up conductors as there is very low amperage involved so very small conductors are fine. Unless the cable is specified as low skew doubling up conductors may degrade your signal quality by having slightly different lengths causing a smearing of the data.

Mac

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »

GN/GW and OR/OW are twisted pairs. That is where your noise resistance and signal integrity comes from. DO NOT use GN+OR and GW+/OW as the 2 conductors of a pair, it will not be a twisted pair and will not have the advantage of using twisted pair for signal integrity. I see no advantage to doubling up conductors as there is very low amperage involved so very small conductors are fine. Unless the cable is specified as low skew doubling up conductors may degrade your signal quality by having slightly different lengths causing a smearing of the data.

Mac

Best possible answer.  No extra work.  Single twisted pair it is.

thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »

Mac

It will also change the capacitance of the cable.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:10 AM »

Best possible answer.  No extra work.  Single twisted pair it is.

thanks

Oh that far more internet exchanges could go this well.

OP:  Should i do the thing?

Answer:  No, because *Informed Reason 1 and also *Informed Reason 2.

OP:  Okay, I won't do the thing.

I feel like i've just witnessed a Unicorn Sighting....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.