ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: console for new theater venue install  (Read 19370 times)

Mike Lightkep

Re: console for new theater venue install
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

As nice a desk as the SD12 is, you should be aware that it doesn't support DiGiCo's theatre-specific T software, so it isn't, strictly speaking, a theatre desk. For that you'd have to go up to an SD10 or down to an SD9.

-Russ
Right.  I just want to be able to explore the 'Digi Thing' on some product.  Their SD7's, 8's and 10's are always out on the road somewhere.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 05:25:02 PM »

Yamaha is the most GENERIC choice you can make, which given the wide variety of possible uses in play is going to be the best choice.  My suggestion, echoed elsewhere, is to spec a PM10 with all the bells and whistles and be okay with falling back to a pair of CL5s and a pile of RIOs. 

Regardless of which way you go, you Really Need to incorporate Dante as your audio network pipeline.  The flexibility to get into and out of the network easily from a wide variety of locations with a wide variety of different devices is something that will save you a WORLD of hurt later.  48 inputs in the green room for an orchestra ISO record?  Sure!  Program monitor in someone's office across the street?  Sure [if you've got a LAN going there which you probably do].  Or comms.  Or a popup Video Village.  Or whatever.

I don't know what the future of consoles is.  But the foreseeable future of audio networking is Dante....

EDIT:  and/or AES67....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:05:39 AM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »

As nice a desk as the SD12 is, you should be aware that it doesn't support DiGiCo's theatre-specific T software, so it isn't, strictly speaking, a theatre desk. For that you'd have to go up to an SD10 or down to an SD9.

-Russ

I would love to get my hands on an SD12 since it has OSC (Open Sound Control) and write a SD12 mixer file for Palladium. Then you would have Theater software (Palladium) control over the SD12.

Palladium is from https://www.chsounddesign.com/ I am not an employee I am just a very enthusiastic user. You will see my name on some of the mixer files on their website because I am happy to make Palladium work on as many different mixers as I can.

Mike Lightkep

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:00 PM »

Hi, all.  A follow up now to my original post on this topic and thanks once again for all of the input so far.
After attending AES this past Wed. with my department director and others a wonderful change in budget status has graced this, yet-to-be-started endeavor.  It seems a generous up-budgeting has been approved which will allow for the hardware and now all chips are in play for eventual final product specification(s).  The dream console will actually be a part of the system specs as we move forward.  After a full day of detailed demos from all of the primary players Wednesday added to all of the research I've been doing since April the choices have been narrowed down to 2 big guns in the digital desk shooting gallery.  PM10 and Digico SD7Quantum are the 2 contenders, each offering world-class performance but each with their own set of 'niche' options that will certainly serve our expanded performing arts and tech class departments well for years to come.  Can't tell you how exciting this news was the other day.  We are now scheduling deeper, in-depth demos at our existing venue within the next couple of months with both desks and will make the decision on which will end up gracing our new sound booth at that time.   On a side note, the new Allen & Heath Avantis is pretty bad-ass.  I may just be picking up one of those for my personal pa rig over the winter.  :)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2019, 03:36:46 AM »

Hi Mike,

If you go the SD7Q route, I highly recommend taking a look at the Broaman Route66 Optocore Router for your rack room.  One of those "little black boxes" that does things that just makes your life easier.  Since Optocore runs as a ring network as standard, this thing allows for a star topology instead, and is a self-healing network device that eliminates the need to repatch. 

Need to add a guest desk?  No need to rethink your loop - just drop the new desk on the router and set the console ID on the desk.  Want to take a MON desk offline and mix MON from FOH?  No problem, just shut down the MON desk. 

I have no affiliation with Broaman or Optocore, but I've done a couple installs with this thing (including the first one in North America) and the difference between going from an optical patch bay for the Optocore loop to this device was night and day in terms of ease of use.  There was simply no more thought given to repatching as it takes care of it for you.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »

Hi, all.  A follow up now to my original post on this topic and thanks once again for all of the input so far.
After attending AES this past Wed. with my department director and others a wonderful change in budget status has graced this, yet-to-be-started endeavor.  It seems a generous up-budgeting has been approved which will allow for the hardware and now all chips are in play for eventual final product specification(s).  The dream console will actually be a part of the system specs as we move forward.  After a full day of detailed demos from all of the primary players Wednesday added to all of the research I've been doing since April the choices have been narrowed down to 2 big guns in the digital desk shooting gallery.  PM10 and Digico SD7Quantum are the 2 contenders, each offering world-class performance but each with their own set of 'niche' options that will certainly serve our expanded performing arts and tech class departments well for years to come.  Can't tell you how exciting this news was the other day.  We are now scheduling deeper, in-depth demos at our existing venue within the next couple of months with both desks and will make the decision on which will end up gracing our new sound booth at that time.   On a side note, the new Allen & Heath Avantis is pretty bad-ass.  I may just be picking up one of those for my personal pa rig over the winter.  :)

What is the price difference between those 2 configured the way you want them? I was at AES the last 2 days. Is it true that the Digicos are using Windows ME as there OS?

I would lean towards the Yamaha PM10 if it were me.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »

What is the price difference between those 2 configured the way you want them? I was at AES the last 2 days. Is it true that the Digicos are using Windows ME as there OS?

I would lean towards the Yamaha PM10 if it were me.
I believe that the SD7 is using Windows XP embedded. I know for a fact that the SD10  running WinXP embedded, because that's what's on my console.

The PM10/7 is also using an embedded version of Windows, 7 I believe.

The price difference between a fully configured SD7 and a PM10 is at least $50 grand.

Is the OP still looking for two consoles?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 04:32:46 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 04:37:03 PM »

I believe that the SD7 is using Windows XP embedded. I know for a fact that the SD10  running WinXP embedded, because that's what's on my consol

That´s correct and SD12 is using Win7 embedded.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »

That´s correct and SD12 is using Win7 embedded.

Did the Quantum upgrade to the SD7 include an upgrade to Win7 embedded?

-Russ

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »

I believe that the SD7 is using Windows XP embedded. I know for a fact that the SD10  running WinXP embedded, because that's what's on my console.

The PM10/7 is also using an embedded version of Windows, 7 I believe.

The price difference between a fully configured SD7 and a PM10 is at least $50 grand.

Is the OP still looking for two consoles?

Which one is the more expensive one?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.