ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Replace a 4 Channel Amp with a 2 Channel Amplifier?  (Read 6363 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Can I Replace a 4 Channel Amp with a 2 Channel Amplifier?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 02:14:19 AM »

Hi Scott, (GAVS) Your experience in audio is appreciated. Newbie here.

We wouldn’t be adjusting the HPF during a production but during setup as we trying to get the best sound out of the monitors without over powering them. (We also use the HPF in the Soundcraft mixer.)

I believe that the speaker cable loss is doable according to the charts I’ve looked at. Heavier gauge copper $$$ would always be better.)

The power bar we're using is the Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner. It’s also a surge protector. (Sweetwater). I have the digital mixer on a UPS in case of any sudden utility power glitches.

I’ll look into that “remote turn on from stage” suggestion.

Actually outer mixer could be on stage too … since we run it via Wi-Fi & ethernet.

What is GAVS?

So that amp is powering monitor not mains?

The UPS is always a good idea.  Surge suppressors and line filters don't add a lot of value over a  conventional power strip. 

The high pass should be set for the lowest frequency you want to ever send to the speaker and left alone.  The tweaks you speak of should be done in the board.  Frankly I don't ever think I have seen an amp at FOH,  in installs the amps are usually in locked racks or an amp room.  On tour all amps live on or right off the stage deck.

Hope this helps.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Courtney

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »

What is GAVS?

So that amp is powering monitor not mains?

The UPS is always a good idea.  Surge suppressors and line filters don't add a lot of value over a  conventional power strip. 

The high pass should be set for the lowest frequency you want to ever send to the speaker and left alone.  The tweaks you speak of should be done in the board.  Frankly I don't ever think I have seen an amp at FOH,  in installs the amps are usually in locked racks or an amp room.  On tour all amps live on or right off the stage deck.

Hope this helps.

GAVS is my short form for Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, your company, I believe.  I did read many of your previous posts - informative.

If you have time, read back through this posting and you will see how I'm using a 2 channel amp to power both the mains and monitors. (Perhaps a second amp in the future).

It was suggested on here to set the HPF to the monitors (used by vocals and guitar) to 110 dB Hz, but I've been dipping a little lower (90 dB Hz) trying to get a richer sound. (and still try to protect the monitors from too high a wattage.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:02:23 AM by Dan Courtney »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

GAVS is my short form for Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, your company, I believe.  I did read many of your previous posts - informative.

If you have time, read back through this posting and you will see how I'm using a 2 channel amp to power both the mains and monitors. (Perhaps a second amp in the future).

It was suggested on here to set the HPF to the monitors (used by vocals and guitar) to 110 dB, but I've been dipping a little lower (90 dB) trying to get a richer sound. (and still try to protect the monitors from too high a wattage.)

I would stick with the 110hz, you are not trying for hifi.  The purpose of a monitor is for the musician to hear what they need to play.  90Hz is too much mud.

BTW you have dB instead of HZ.  dB is not a unit of measurement in itself but a scale, you have to have a variable after it setting the value you want to quantify on the dB scale IE: dB SPL or dB $$$ (my favorite)

Thanks for your kind words, some of my posts are obnoxious too!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »

FWIW, I regularly see amp(s) at FOH in small churches. Not advocating the practice, but if they didn't install a sequencing system and the runs are for two bose panaray speakers in the front running 50w of power I doubt that 100ft of 16awg speaker cable is doing all that much. That and it's usually a single 2ch amp running mains and choir monitor off channels 1,2 respectively.

I'm actually currently working an estimate to bring the amps to the stage for a client.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »

To be clear for power.

Any amps (or high-current devices) should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. There should be no surge protection going on. The only caveat is properly designed high-current remote relay switching systems that may/may not have built-in surge protection.

All electronics that require longer than ~1.5s bootup time (digital mixer, computer, digital snake, etc) should be on UPS that-is battery backup. Pure sinewave preferred.

I suggest having a surge protector for the UPS as they are usually only 600j and a Panamax MD2 is 1350 with other additional protections.

Lastly, a sequencing system that turns amps on last and off first (compared to the mixer/dsp) is a very good idea.

The power bar we're using is the Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner. It’s also a surge protector. (Sweetwater). I have the digital mixer on a UPS in case of any sudden utility power glitches.

I’ll look into that “remote turn on from stage” suggestion.

That M-8x2 is not a surge protector by any stretch of the imagination. And your amp should not connect to it in any-way-shape-or-form.

If the power strip is decent, I agree.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:53:35 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.