ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stage painting  (Read 2568 times)

Steve Mason

stage painting
« on: April 24, 2019, 06:10:05 AM »

We are considering painting the "band shell" at our county fairgrounds, ahead of this years fair.  It is a semi enclosed (3 sides) structure with the opening facing fairly due east. Sun is overhead to behind the structure most of the day so the stage is usually in shadow when there is an event.  Is black paint the best way to go? Because we experience late sunsets on the west coast we generally finish events in twilight we almost are never running under full stage lighting.  Would doing the whole box in black (floors, walls, ceiling) give me a lest a little color from lights?  The picture is deceptive as to how dark the stage is because of the bright sky affecting the picture.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: stage painting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »

Steve, if it were me I would do black on the floor and leave the rest of the stage white.  No real reason except that I have worked on many of them that are painted that way.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »

Black ceiling and walls will radiate more heat onto the talent.
Same with the stage floor if it gets direct sun.
If white is too stark / bright, go with a light or medium gray for the walls.
Dark gray for the floor.
Are you trying to hide the walls or color them with light?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »

Black ceiling and walls will radiate more heat onto the talent.
Same with the stage floor if it gets direct sun.
If white is too stark / bright, go with a light or medium gray for the walls.
Dark gray for the floor.
Are you trying to hide the walls or color them with light?
Gray also will not show the dirt/dust/pollen that will build up on an outside structure as much.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »

We are considering painting the "band shell" at our county fairgrounds, ahead of this years fair.  It is a semi enclosed (3 sides) structure with the opening facing fairly due east. Sun is overhead to behind the structure most of the day so the stage is usually in shadow when there is an event.  Is black paint the best way to go? Because we experience late sunsets on the west coast we generally finish events in twilight we almost are never running under full stage lighting.  Would doing the whole box in black (floors, walls, ceiling) give me a lest a little color from lights?  The picture is deceptive as to how dark the stage is because of the bright sky affecting the picture.

From a lighting standpoint I would absolutely paint the ceiling & walls black. I would also suggest grey industrial carpet on the floor - or paint it a dark grey.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »

Black walls means you can't light the walls.  You can light objects on stage, or have visible beams if you have haze.

Just don't plan for a nice colour wash on a black wall!  :-)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »

Our community band shell has a sky blue upper ceiling transitioning to local landmarks as it arcs down to the floor. (It is a shell-shaped structure -- Think classic curved cyclorama surround feel.)  It is mostly used while it is still reasonably light outdoors in the summer, so it doesn't have theatrical lighting fixtures.  With a light colored background, you don't need much lighting for the town band to be seen by the audience seated on the grass.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »

From a lighting standpoint I would absolutely paint the ceiling & walls black. I would also suggest grey industrial carpet on the floor - or paint it a dark grey.
If you're always going to use movers with haze (challenging outside) and/or always bring in other setpieces, then sure, black is fine.  Otherwise, black is a poor choice.  For a community band shell that will be used by lots of different kinds of groups, I would go medium to light grey for walls/ceiling with a black floor. If you keep the light spill off the walls, even white appears fairly dark and then can be lit to taste.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:29:54 PM »

If you're always going to use movers with haze (challenging outside) and/or always bring in other setpieces, then sure, black is fine.  Otherwise, black is a poor choice.  For a community band shell that will be used by lots of different kinds of groups, I would go medium to light grey for walls/ceiling with a black floor. If you keep the light spill off the walls, even white appears fairly dark and then can be lit to taste.

Understood, but not my preference. If they are relying on lit walls, then yes, something other than black, but lights look better against a black wall all the time IMO.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:29:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.